Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Me~~

• Please log in to reply

babydoll0205

babydoll0205

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello all......

My brother gave me a used laptop for Christmas. It is a Dell Latitude D620. It will not start up at all since yesterday. When I turn

the power on the laptop...I have the Dell screen comes up...gives me a option to press F2 or F12...then tells me " STARTING MS-

DOS"...and It just sits there. I don't know what else to do. I am not a "whiz" when it comes to this. Has anuyone ever heard of this

before??? :)

Thanks for your help!!

Babydoll0205

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello babydoll0205...

Will the machine boot into Safe Mode?

Start the machine and start tapping the F8 key as soon as you see the Dell screen. This may bring up a boot order screen...if it does, press the Esc key and immediately begin tapping the F8 key again.

When you see the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" and press Enter. If Safe Mode starts, log into the Administrator account and run a System Restore to a date when the machine was running properly. Let it try to boot normally when the Restore operation completes.

wannabe1