Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem booting with XP laptop

• Please log in to reply

pansenbaer

pansenbaer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,

I was searching for my problem on google and came across this site and this thread specifically.

http://www.geekstogo...en-t159277.html

I read all of the information and couldn't really fix my problem; so that brings me to this thread!

Computer is a Toshiba laptop, Celeron M 1.5 GHz Processor, 512 MB Ram. Yesterday when I started the computer, it got to the Windows XP Boot screen and then crashed. It looked like there were almost like 3 or 4 screen behind it that flashed instantaneously when it did crash. The computer then automatically turns back on and does it again, endlessly.

So I have a Toshiba Recovery and Applications CD that I guess installs Windows. I never actually got a retail XP disc so this is what I have used when I reformat. This brings me to a Norton something or other (I can't get back in now) it has a picture of a ghost with a progress bar telling me its copying files. After that process, I took out the cd, pressed a key to continue and still the black screen with cursor.

I downloaded an ISO of puppy linux and got it to boot, no problem. I click on drives on the desktop and then click the little drive icon next to "hda1 57.2G ntfs". Red box with error:

"NTFS WARNING
The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS partition and returned this error message:
Failed to write lock '/dev/hda1': Resource temporarily unavailable
Error opening partition device:Resource temporarily unavailable
Failed to startup volume:Resource temporarily unavailable
Failed to mount '/dev/hda1':Resource temporarily unavailable

So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used to mount the partition read-only."

So I click okay. The drive icon is now green so I click.

"FAILURE! In the case of removable media, the most common reason is the media is not currently inserted. If so, please remedy.

Is it safe to say its a hard drive failure? Also, if I get a new hard drive, can I even use that recovery CD that came with the computer? Thanks for the help.

Nate

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello pansenbaer...

It does kinda sound like a failing HDD, but let's see if we can get a better look at it.

Download RC.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning tool like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on. ISO Recorder will add "Copy Image to CD" to the right click context menu...to start the application, right click on the downloaded file (RC.iso) and choose "Copy Image to CD". This must be burned as an ISO image to work.

Let me know when you have this disk ready and we'll see if we can get a better look at the system partition.

wannabe1

pansenbaer

pansenbaer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the response. I got the ISO and am running some commands. I did fixmbr and fixboot and nothing. I'm doing the chkdsk /r and its working on that. Weird, it just jumped from 68 back down to 50. I'm off to bed. What can I try next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did the disk check get you back into Windows?

pansenbaer

pansenbaer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay ran chkdsk and it said

"CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.
58605088 kb total disk space
53954128 kb are available

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
14651272 total allocation units on disk
13488532 allocation units available on disk"

Something I noticed; It now asks which Windows installation would you like to log onto. Above that it says 1: C:\WINDOWS

Now trying bootcfg /scan

Total identified Windows installs :1

[1]: C:\WINDOWS

Did bootcfg /rebuild and no change

bootcfg /list comes back with

[1] "Microsoft XP Home Edition"
OS Load Options: /fast detect
OS Location: C:\WINDOWS

[2] "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
OS Load Option: /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
OS Location: C:\WINDOWS

Then I did fixmbr again

Nothing

Also, I'm following what you told the guy in the other thread, in case you were wondering. I should also tell you that I don't have any data on the drive I need to save. So if there is a quicker way, I'm all for it. So I guess my question would be, since I can't actually use the Recovery CD that came with the Laptop to install XP, can I use this ISO you gave me? Also, The COA got scratched off on the bottom so I have no idea what the code is. Is that a problem?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The RC.iso disk does not contain the files necessary to install the operating system...it is just Recovery Console. You will need a valid key to install Windows.

When you start Recovery Console, are you given the choice of two operating systems to log on to? How about when you try to boot to Windows...are you now offered a choice of operating systems?

pansenbaer

pansenbaer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I do recovery console, it says

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

Do I have a choice?

I can hit 1 then enter and it takes me to

C:\WINDOWS>

Where I can start typing.

Edited by pansenbaer, 01 January 2009 - 01:14 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
At that prompt, type chkdsk /r and press Enter.

Let it run even if it appears to hang. I've seen this check take a number of hours to complete and be successful. I've also seen it run for hours and fail. It's important to give it lots of time to try and recover any bad sectors it finds.

pansenbaer

pansenbaer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Oh snap! Before I ran the chkdsk I did the recovery CD that came with the Laptop and all seems to be okay. Its in Windows and it says "Applying Final Configuration Please wait" Okay now its restarting. Booting into Windows. Blue screen, "please wait while Windows prepares to start......" Windows Logo. Okay, I think I'm in the clear. Its doing the initial setup where I name the computer. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know if I run into any more snags.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's one way to do it........ :)

pansenbaer

pansenbaer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ha. Yeah I was waiting for a reply so I thought I'd give it a shot. And what do ya know!