Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Adding Second HD

• Please log in to reply

Peter B

Peter B

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I recentley got a Compaq tower with a 40gb ide hd in it. I have another 40gb ide hard drive and I want to add it as a second hd. What do I need to do to the second hd to make it work?.

Thanks.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I recentley got a Compaq tower with a 40gb ide hd in it. I have another 40gb ide hard drive and I want to add it as a second hd. What do I need to do to the second hd to make it work?.

Thanks.

Hook it up to the other channel ribbon cable that has no harddrive hooked up to it OR
you can hook it up to the same ribbon cable as the other harddrive but you will have to change the jumper on it to SLAVE as the main harddrive that has the windows Operating system on it is your MASTER and needs to stay master.

Remember Leave your OLD harddrive with the operating system ALONE to MASTER.

You can add the other harddrive either way I suggested just follow instructions.

After you get onto windows just find the new drive in my computer and format it within windows..

Edited by jrm20, 31 December 2008 - 10:12 PM.

Peter B

Peter B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok I think now I forgot to put the jumper on the second hard drive. I will check if the main hard drive is set to master also.
Thanks. :)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok I think now I forgot to put the jumper on the second hard drive. I will check if the main hard drive is set to master also.
Thanks. :)

No problem!

Peter B

Peter B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok I went in and changed the master jumper on the primary hd, left the secondary hd un jumpered as it says for slave. Now it will not boot, I tried to remove the secondary hd and it won't boot from the original configuration.....
HELP :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Won't boot... plenty of reasons why a computer won't boot.

Care to give a little more detail? Describe exactly what happens?

Troy

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok I went in and changed the master jumper on the primary hd, left the secondary hd un jumpered as it says for slave. Now it will not boot, I tried to remove the secondary hd and it won't boot from the original configuration.....
HELP :)

Maybe you got confused here somehow. I told you to leave the original hard drive alone and not change anything at all about it. Thats why your pc will not boot at all. If you still have issues the easiest way to do this is to put the newer Harddrive on a different IDE ribbon cable than the older Original one so you do not get confused anymore.

It should pick right up if you put everything back the way it was originally then put the newer harddrive on a different IDE ribbon cable. If it still will not pick up as it should then try the Cable select jumper or the cable jumper on the newer harddrive.

Peter B

Peter B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The computer is a Compaq Presario 6312US model. There are only 2 ribbon slots, primary and secondary. I have a dvd and cd on on ribbon cable, then I was planning on putting the second hd on the same ribbon with the primary hd. Which should be attached to the primary slot? Optical drives or the hard drives? I also have a floppy on it's on slot. Not sure what happened....

Peter B

Peter B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok my computer is a Compaq Presario 6312US model, it was running fine until I tried to add a second hard drive, a 40gb ide, same exact model as the original hard drive. I'm not sure what should be where, the optical drives are on 1 ribbon and the hard drive has a second ribbon, what should be the primary slot and what should be the secondary slot? I am just trying to get the original hard drive to boot up again... When I press the power button it sound like it is booting then shuts off and then has a flashing red light on the front panel...
ANY HELP??

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

Did you change any of the jumpers on the Master HDD (original hard drive)? If so, put them back and then disconnect the second hard drive for now.

The second hard drive you are trying to add is the exact same type - did you mark the original and the upgrade so you don't get the two confused?

It really sounds like you may have knocked something loose, or perchance something finally quit on you. I would suggest carefully reseating all the Power and Data cables to ensure everything's connected properly.

For the channels, I would put the hard drive ribbon into the Primary and the CD drives into Secondary.

Troy

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok my computer is a Compaq Presario 6312US model, it was running fine until I tried to add a second hard drive, a 40gb ide, same exact model as the original hard drive. I'm not sure what should be where, the optical drives are on 1 ribbon and the hard drive has a second ribbon, what should be the primary slot and what should be the secondary slot? I am just trying to get the original hard drive to boot up again... When I press the power button it sound like it is booting then shuts off and then has a flashing red light on the front panel...
ANY HELP??

Where you are getting confused is mobos have 2 IDE channels or can be called (ide controllers) 1 and 2 or can be 0 and 1.. The ribbon cable connects the IDE channels which is located on the motherboard.. Each ribbon cable has 2 connectors and say on (ide 0) one connector is primary master and the other connector is primary slave. Say (ide 1) its then secondary master and the other connector is secondary slave.. You might of gotten confused as I gave you 2 different ways you could connect the other harddrive up to as I did not know you had 2 other cd rom devices on its own cable.. You have many ways to connect the second harddrive..

On the (IDE 1) channel/controller THIS will be the PRIMARY controller. It varies on what mobo you have it might already be listed as PRIMARY controller or it can start out at 0 or 1.. (JUST DEPENDS ON MOBO) IDK which mobo you have so I am giving you more info than you really need so you might learn something. The master is the connector on the very end, and the middle is the slave. That answers your question. Just find your old HD and hook it to the farthest connector and put the jumper to MASTER, on the new HD hook it to the middle connector and set jumper to SLAVE. IT will then work. You will have to figure out which HD is which if you got them mixed up as I cannot help you determine over the net..

Remember the OLD ORIGINAL HD as I said before has the operating system on it and it has to be on the MASTER.

Peter B

Peter B

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok I got the 2 hd's to work and now I'm loading Windows XP, a fresh version, onto the primary hd. They both have previous Windows XP on them, and I am trying to reformat the primary with the new Windows for now. Here is the symptoms/problem... I get to run boot from cd, Windows, and get into installing it on the primary drive, erasing the old Windows and replacing it... My computer starts to load Windows on it and then crashes.... just shuts off. I have tried this several times and same thing...
???