Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU + VIDEO + MOBO Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

zestron

zestron

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Okay I've gone and done some researching and here is what I've come up with from Newegg.ca

Current
MSI MS-7260
GeForce 8600GT
AMD Athlon 64 3800+

Upgrade

Foxconn A78AX-S $79.49
GeForce 9600GT $115.89
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz
$85.49

Subtotal: $280.87

Handling: $36.67
Shipping: $18.75

Grand Total: $336.29

Thoughts? Comments?

Advertisements

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
EDIT: I just ordered it :)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

EDIT: I just ordered it :)

Not bad at all for the money. later on if you get more into hardcore gaming you can upgrade the video card to more of a powerhouse. Will you be doing any hardcore gaming and what games do you play?

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Hardcore? Not really. I'm fine with medium settings. I play Counter Strike: Source and Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty 4
I'm upgrading because I want to be able to play Left 4 Dead on 1680x1050, and so I can play games like Fallout, GTA IV, and such.
Oh, and I do some video editing ( real video and games machinima )

EDIT: Well I guess once I get the new stuff I can;
1: Crank up my settings for any games that I currently play
2: Sell my 8600GT, 3800+, and MS-7260 to my dad, for like $150? Does that seem reasonable?

Happy New Years! :)

Edited by zestron, 31 December 2008 - 10:18 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hardcore? Not really. I'm fine with medium settings. I play Counter Strike: Source and Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty 4
I'm upgrading because I want to be able to play Left 4 Dead on 1680x1050, and so I can play games like Fallout, GTA IV, and such.
Oh, and I do some video editing ( real video and games machinima )

Happy New Years! :)

Ya glad you said GTA4, as I have it and I get it to play correctly but many people are having problems getting it to run high fps. The #1 thing they do though is try and max all video card settings and they end up getting like 7-20fps and they complain, even on newer video cards it just varies on the whole pc setup for me to fully explain in detail.

Anyway on gta4 with that setup you need 2gb ram minimum and you will be able to play medium texture quality which will be locked by default, then medium render probably and for the view distance probably around 50%max,detail distance 50% max,vehicle density 50% or so and shadow density I recommend keeping it low or turn it off for a FPS boost. Gta4 takes quite a bit of power to run correctly and I know what I'm talking about. I have a few videos on my youtube account trying to help people out on settings etc. I know my stuff. I just wanted you to know about the issues before you bought the game. It will run fine if you know how to optimize the video card settings correctly.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Oh yeah, I know how much it takes to run the game. I'm fine with running on medium settings, I don't have $800 to spend on upgrading my computer, so I have to deal with it.
Too bad how much computer cost though. The point that a $400 XBOX 360 can run it perfectly makes me mad.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I have 3G DDR2 RAM (5400 I think)

Edited by zestron, 31 December 2008 - 10:33 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Oh yeah, I know how much it takes to run the game. I'm fine with running on medium settings, I don't have $800 to spend on upgrading my computer, so I have to deal with it.
Too bad how much computer cost though. The point that a $400 XBOX 360 can run it perfectly makes me mad.

The 360 version of the game runs at :-

1280 x 720 with 2 x AA and runs at around 29-30fps

Texture Quality = Medium
Render Quality = Low
View Distance = 21
Detail Distance = 10
Vehicle Density = 33
Shadow Density = Not available on the consoles

Pc versions can run the game at a much higher resolution/texture quality/render quality/view distance/detail distance/vehicle density/shadow density though.

Even at medium settings on PC it looks a lot better than the PS3 / Xbox360 consoles.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Oh yeah, because consoles strech the resolution for the TV, good point.
Well, I can't wait to get my stuff and get goin with some new games :)

Hopefully this new motherboard will accept my 4th G of ram.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Should I use both cards I'll have do you think?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Oh yeah, because consoles strech the resolution for the TV, good point.
Well, I can't wait to get my stuff and get goin with some new games :)

Hopefully this new motherboard will accept my 4th G of ram.

all 4 gb will not show up if you have a 32 bit version of windows. If you have a 64 bit version of windows you will see all 4 gb register correctly within windows.

Should I use both cards I'll have do you think?

You talking about using both of your video cards??? No point in doing that unless you want to run a multiple monitor setup but the extra video card will not help in performance in any games at all. IF you had 2 of the exact same video cards with a SLI mobo and you bridge them together you will see a performance increase though.