Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE HDD Vanished

• Please log in to reply

sweeper

sweeper

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Hello

My system config is as follows:
  • WinXP Pro SP3
  • ASUS P5B-VM motherboard
  • 2 Seagate SATAII HDD
  • 1 80GB Seagate IDE HDD
  • 1 LiteOn DVD RW IDE

Yesterday I got a BSOD and as I rebooted I found that both my IDE devices are missing and can not be recognized by XP. While booting I found that both the IDE devices are properly listed but as soon as WinXP starts, both these drives are not recognized. :) :)

I checked Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Log> System, I found that XP listed a error related with JMicron driver. After downloading and reinstalling JMicron driver (which I hope was right version), the DVD RW drive is now listed but my IDE drive is still missing which contains very important data and my Linux :)

As both the devices are properly listed during pre-OS boot, that I think means that the issue is related to OS, and it is not a driver issue. In BIOS I checked that JMicron controller is set to BASIC (there are 2 other modes, but I have no idea what do those two mean)!

Could someone please help me out to resolve this issue? Its really urgent for me to resolve.

Thank you.

Edited by sweeper, 01 January 2009 - 12:57 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you boot into safe mode and see the drives...
also go here and get the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility.
get the 1st one ...9.0.0.1008 6/2/2008...
be sure and read the READ ME

Edited by happyrock, 03 January 2009 - 10:48 AM.

sweeper

sweeper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Thanks very much....

I followed your suggestion and also uninstalled and reinstalled the JMicron driver and (at least for now) the problem seems to be resolved...

Thanks again....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)