Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with skype......

• Please log in to reply

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
One of my friends asked me to install skype on his system for him. I did but it locked the mic we were not able to record sound using windows xp's sound recorder. I have seen that in skype messenger it was showing that mic was locked and there was no option to unlock it. So i uninstalled the skype. But i noticed that after this the mic was not working in other messengers(Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger and google talk) too which was working before trying to install skype. I have checked the sound and aoudio devices in control panel to see if it got desabled there but it wasnt.
please tell me how can i make mic work again. I can hear the voice in messenger but the person on the other side is not able to hear my voice. my mic got locked.

Advertisements

sahyd2don

sahyd2don

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

One of my friends asked me to install skype on his system for him. I did but it locked the mic we were not able to record sound using windows xp's sound recorder. I have seen that in skype messenger it was showing that mic was locked and there was no option to unlock it. So i uninstalled the skype. But i noticed that after this the mic was not working in other messengers(Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger and google talk) too which was working before trying to install skype. I have checked the sound and aoudio devices in control panel to see if it got desabled there but it wasnt.
please tell me how can i make mic work again. I can hear the voice in messenger but the person on the other side is not able to hear my voice. my mic got locked.

I dont know what was wrong with the mic and why skype was locking my mic .....
I just solved the problem by doing system restore to earlier restore point......

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Microphone has lock on it - how do I remove
Skype test says my mike is mute? what to do
Skype Sound Set Up Guide

Well, a Restore Point is ok, but really didn't solve the actual problem. I've used Skype for years and never had problems with it. Maybe the links will help you should you decide to give Skype another chance.

This one may be useful: Submit a support request

Edited by Major Payne, 08 January 2009 - 08:48 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
In Control Panel,
go to sound and audio devices,
check 'place volume icon in the taskbar'
it will appear near your clock
right click it and 'open volume control'
in options-properties,
make sure 'mic' is checked to appear

When starting a call or in a call,
you can quickly check your mic status,
by right clicking the icon and click 'open volume control'

I have had to re enable the mic this way with Skype a few times

hope that helps

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Covered under link: Skype Sound Set Up Guide at Skype Sound and Audio Set-Up. The Guide gives the links depending on User's operating system.