Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCHEALTH

• Please log in to reply

jim10011

jim10011

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi. I am so confused and frustrated I'm not sure if I can explain what I've done but here it goes...

I am working on my nephews computer which runs very slow. I discovered the TRVundo trojan and decided to try and delete it. I got some online instructions and went to work. Unfortunately in my zeal to destroy the bad, I inadvertently deleted a Windows file PCHealth.

The PCHealth file is in my recycle bin but it wont let me restore it, copy it, or move it. I cannot do searches, my taskbar disappears when I start the computer, system restore won't run, and it starts extremely slow (and other odd behavior). All of this started since I deleted that file.

I attempted to fix the problem by doing this:

run and type:- %systemroot%\inf folder and locate the
PCHealth.inf file (might show as PCHealth in Windows Explorer). Right-click the file and choose "Install".

I had many missing files and copied the missing ones from another computer and finished the above installation. But when it completed I got the message:
C:\windows\system32\Cmd.com is not a valid win32 application.

This computer was sluggish when I got it, and now it is much worse! I am scared to tell me nephew that I ruined his computer. Can this computer be saved?

p.s. I don't have the windows xp disks to reinstall windows. I would be so grateful for some help. Thank you.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Before continuing, I recommend you go to the Malware section of this forum and follow the instructions at the top. Especially the Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials page. That will give you several steps that will help you clean up most of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the cleanup process you are still having difficulty, and you may not be, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Please be patient as the "Malware Forum" is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the Malware Section, please return to this thread. Please do not post a HiJackThis log in this thread unless asked to do so and then only as an attachment. To attach log, when requested, either change the .log extension to .txt, or put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

Please post back if your problem has been solved.

Ron

jim10011

jim10011

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
But this is not a malware problem. I have deleted a file and I can't restore it. Everything was fine before I deleted this file PCHealth. If the problem was malware, wouldn't it have acted like this from the start?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

pchealth.exe description
Description

pchealth.exe is a process which is registered as the W32.Cone worm. This virus is distributed via the Internet through e-mail and comes in the form of an e-mail message, in the hopes that you open its hostile attachment. The worm has its own SMTP engine which means it gathers E-mails from your local computer and re-distributes itself. In worst cases this worm can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system. Please see additional details regarding this process.

SOURCE

Any infection you have had means you have more. Please let our Malware Experts help you through this.

jim10011

jim10011

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
ok so what do I do now? Do I have to go to another forum? The file I deleted was not the pchealth.exe file. It was the Windows system file which controls system restore and other things. Because of deleting this vital windows file, I cannot get any programs to run, which i previously could before i deleted this file. So though I know I have malware, it has not caused my current problems. Everything ran fine (except slow) before I deleted this windows file. But now I cannot do anything. No programs will run so I can't get rid of any malware or viruses. I get various errors for every program I try and run. I started with your malware tutorial and ran malwarebytes, but this will not run as well. The computer is stuck in some sort of safe or safe/networking mode since I deleted the pchealth file and i can't get it out of it no matter what i do. msconfig was part of pchealth so i can't even check to see if the start in safe mode box is checked. all my problems started and have continued since i accidentally deleted the pchealth windows file. before I deleted this file, the computer was fine, just very slow. I need to restore this file! and I can't figure out how to do it. I can't move it, cut it, or restore it. I believe these windows functions are a part of the pchealth file, because they all worked fine BEFORE I deleted pchealth. please help. don't know if this is relevant, but here is a hijackthis log:

Edited by Rorschach112, 01 January 2009 - 12:47 PM.
removed log

jim10011

jim10011

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
p.s. This problem of not being able to restore pchealth is the same with ALL files. I cannot move, copy, cut, paste, or restore anything not just pchealth.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I have asked someone from Malware section to pick your thread up as I can not help you with an HiJackThis log or any malware problem. If they can recommend a file to download to get you started again so they can help you with further malware problems, then it must be they who do so. This is according to the TOU.

Edited by Major Payne, 01 January 2009 - 12:17 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello jim10011,

You will already know from the earlier post from Major Payne that pchealth.exe is an infection. See link below for further information.

http://www.processli...files/pchealth/

We need to get you into the Malware forum so that we can deal with your machines problem.

Please start a new Topic there. PM me when you have and I will follow it up.

regards
emeraldnzl

jim10011

jim10011

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
But it's not pchealth.exe I am having trouble with. I accidentally deleted the Windows system FOLDER pchealth, which has caused my computer to stop functioning properly.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
We KNOW what you are saying, but you MUST follow directions if you want to get the help you need. You were able to post a HJT log of problem computer so let the Malware people check you out. Please!!!!!

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi jim10011,

I see what you are saying.

We will see what we can do about that worry.

Just carry through on the Malware Forum for now though.

Means we can look at the malware possibilities too. :)

regards
emeraldnzl

franky_dj

franky_dj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi! I got a same problem..i uninstall PcHealth...and i can't restore it.....i think it's not about malware...now, i can't open msconfig from run....
Please Help...what i m supposed to do?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello franky_dj,

You need to start a new topic.

Help is not provided for more than one person per topic.

tuco

tuco

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just want to mention that I think the original post was misunderstood. I did exactly the same thing -- deleted the PCHealth folder, which caused windows help to fail, along with msconfig and probably some others things. This is NOT a malware issue. Yes, there is some malware called PC Health Center, no doubt named that way to further confused people. But what we are dealing with here is simply a matter of deleting a Windows application, authored by Microsoft, called PCHealth which has nothing to do with malware. By the way, I'm still looking for a way to restore the PCHealth app.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Hi, jim10011 :)

Chances are your system still infected. Once you have received a Clean Bill of Health by our experts in the malware forum, if the issue is not resolved, you can then ope a new topic in this forum for further help.

Without checking your system for malware, we will just be wasting our time.

Thanks for understanding.