Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Unmountable boot volume

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I am running windows XP on an HP Pavilion dv6000.

It's in the loop of restarting and giving me the unmountable boot volume error. I checked on these forums and other forums and tried the various methods for fixing it.

I went into the BIOS but I didn't see anything labeled 'Fail-Safe' default settings. I loaded the default settings anyways and it still didn't work.

I grabbed an XP installation disk and booted from that. Got to the welcome screen, hit R and it got me to a screen that said "setup did not find any hard disk drives on your computer. setup cannot continue. hit F3 to quit."

I have SP3 installed on the laptop but the disk says SP2 on it. Does that matter?

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello mcmah2b0...

The error you are seeing is usually related to a failed or failing hard drive...and the dv6000 is notorious for losing hdd's.

During the first part of the boot, try pressing the F10 key to access system recovery options. Depending on the BIOS version installed on the machine, you should be able to run diagnostics on the drive from the options there. If you can run those tests (on some BIOS versions the tests are combined into one continuous test cycle), it should give you some idea if that's the case with your machine.