Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

modem switches off

• Please log in to reply

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
my modem used to work very very well - i could browse for hours without it being switched off - in fact, only i could do that.

recently, it has started swishing off by itself, and XP redials and restores connection - or fails to at times.

can u help?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It is hard to say why. I have seen that happen when there is a problem with the phone line. Pick up the phone and dial one digit and then see how quiet the line is. It can also occur when there is a problem with the modem pool on the other end. It could also be a problem with your modem, or another phone on the line, even if it is not picked up.

Has anything changed with respect to the phones on the line? Has the weather been bad?

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hi!

No, my phone lines just fine - no noise, no static...could it be software trouble?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It could be software issues or hardware issues with the modem, as well as issues with the remote modem. You might call your ISP and see what they have to say. Perhaps others are reporting the same problem, which would point to the modem pool that you are calling.

Do you have another phone number that you can call? That is no guarantee as the modem pool could be the same, but if you try another number and it works, that would tend to rule out problems on your side.

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I'll give that a try and see what happens: I do have another line, fortunately.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
I was talking about the number that you call to your ISP. Using another phone line is also a good check too though.

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
ok

i would have to dial into another ISP...I did do that and i had the sane problem

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
So, it sounds like it is most like a problem on your side. Did it do the same thing with the second phone line? If so, I would suspect the modem.

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Ill try the second phone line.

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I have not been able to use the other line because it's out of order....However, I have noticed that when I use the modem, the computer becomes slow after two hours or so, and then I have to reboot to get it up to speed. Also, if I use a wireless USB modem, there is no problem at all.

Does that suggest anything?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
There could be a problem with the driver for the modem or if it is soft modem, then it can be a problem with the software for it. You might see if there is an update for it.

Kamal Pasha

Kamal Pasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I tried to update the software from the prolink site, but failed.

So I installed a new modem, and so far (fingers crossed!) there seems to be no problem.

If stg comes up, I'll be in touch again.

Thanks for taking so much trouble over my problem. I really appreciate it.