Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files being deleted a couple of times a day.

• Please log in to reply

Orre

Orre

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello.

Some certain files are being deleted about every 5 hours or so. The files are DirectX files, Firefox files, and possibly my graphic drivers (i have to reinstall them after i reinstall directx after it's been removed). There are other files like some dll for AirPort and possibly something i haven't noticed...

I reinstall DirectX and Firefox when i need them to play games or surf the internet.

I had a topic on the security section of the forum, but it doesn't seem to be anything like that that's doing this...
Here is the link to that topic.

Any help will be highly apreciated.

Thanks in advance
:)

Advertisements

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Odd. Files don't just "Delete" themselves. You might want to check computer management for the error log and see if anything flaky is going on. Right click on My Computer and click manage. Under manage, click on Event Viewer, then System. Scroll through the list looking for red X's and yellow !'s and see if they correspond with the times you notice things have changed.

Also, click start > Run, and type "msconfig"
Under the general tab make sure it's set to Normal Startup, or Selective Startup with everything checked. I notice they recommended a repair install of windows in the Malware Forum. Have you tried that yet?

Orre

Orre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
There are a lot of errors and warning in the list, many saing that they can't start a program because the files doesn't exist. There are also things saying:

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

and

The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage failed to grow.

and

There was insufficient disk space on volume C: to grow the shadow copy storage for shadow copies of C:. As a result of this failure all shadow copies of volume C: are at risk of being deleted.

Yes, i have tried repairing and reinstalling vista, annd it still didn't work :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If no malware exists, and a format still hasn't solved your problem, perhaps we're looking at a hardware fault.

Please post the make/model of your computer here.

Run a memory and hard drive diagnostic scan, and report back with results here.

Troy

Orre

Orre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i really don't want to format.
I am going to upgrade to windows 7 now and hopefully this problem will go away.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I wouldn't keep your hopes up... It's never recommended to upgrade an operating system when there's existing problems.

Orre

Orre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
okey... For some reason the problem hasn't happened for two days now...
the only thing that might have had an effect was defragmenting using AusLogics Disk Defrag... Very weird... :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So you haven't done the "upgrade" to Windows 7 beta yet?

Disk defragmenting is one part of basic computer maintenance. I've never heard of this problem at all before... How full is the hard drive?

Orre

Orre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have made a partition and installed Windows 7 on it.
The hdd has had between 1 and 40gb free i think.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sounds like it's pretty full... although "between 1 and 40GB free" is a pretty random comment. :)

Orre

Orre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hehe yeah, although i am constantly zipping and unpacking and installing and deleting etc that the size varies pretty much every hour ^^

edit: ehh... maybe i should say that the disk is 300gb... ^^

Edited by Orre, 28 January 2009 - 10:01 AM.