Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Complete loss of client machines networking

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I know you said you ran the network wizard. Did you run it on computer A in the share my internet connection mode?
Either A has stopped being the dhcp server or Hub is set to allow 1 connection or hub has died.
Some ports do die on hubs - DO NOT go and buy a new hub, We have to make sure first.
May I hav the make and model of the hub.
Is the hub set for straight through or cross over.
I am still thinking that the problem is machine A as it is connected to Machine B via direct cable (cross over I hope)
And B can't connect so that should in theroy rule out Hub.
Have you tried a restore point on A to a time when it was working?.
If you do a restore you do not loose any current data and you can undo the restore
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 08 January 2009 - 03:08 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Any Luck ?

cks101

cks101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry Peterm,

I've been waiting for a reply from you for days! only to just realise today that the reply was on the next topic page :)

OK, it can't be the hub as i have 2 exactly the same and neither seem to work, i've aslo tried them on 'normal' and 'uplink' settings. I'm also positive i tried system restore on computer A to a previous date to when it was working, but will try again to a date way before christmas, maybe this will help sort the problem?

The Hubs are both Netgear 4 port hubs, the first is model number DS104 (dual speed) and the second is FE104 (fast ethernet).

I've been wondering if there is a way to delete all network information from the computer, like removing any history or stored info that is left behind even after uninstall of the ethernet connections?

cheers,

Edited by cks101, 09 January 2009 - 01:06 AM.

cks101

cks101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Peterm,

That seems to have done the trick :)

I system restored the PC back a couple of weeks, plugged the cables back into the correct places, unplugged the dsl modem, then re-plug for connection to computer A. Then had to network connection wizard the laptop downstairs, restart the laptop, retart desktop A (unplugging the dsl modem again), after both machines restarted, all connections worked :).

Just want to say, thanks very much for all your time, it's been very much appreciated and glad that everything is back up and running as it was.

excellent! :)

cheers!

Edited by cks101, 09 January 2009 - 03:33 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I was just posting a reply to try something new when I noticed you are going.
Glad to help. Sorry it took so long.
Maybe since everrthing is ok you should make a retore point on all computers.
Cheers
Peterm