Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

World of Warcraft: Classic 3.0.3 Patch Confusions

• Please log in to reply

n0ng33k

n0ng33k

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hello G2G (again), a few of you may know me from the Malware Removal Forum, but who really cares.

There is no easy way to explain my current situation except with simple stages, for my and your comprehension's sake:

1. Bought WoW, found out that the DVD-ROM didn't work, downloaded from website, patched to 3.0.3.
2. Hit level 60. Yay.
3. Bought TBC and a new DVD-ROM Drive so I could install using the DVD-ROM included in the box.
4. Correctly installed DVD-Drive.
5. Upgraded account to TBC account.
6. Put TBC DVD-ROM into new DVD-Drive, installs up to 31% then I receive an error (which is a whole other topic completely, which I'll save for later)
7. Tried everything in my power to fix the problem, ended up un-installing WoW and trying to install again from DVD-ROM that came from the box.
8. WoW DVD-ROM has an error at ~75% (which is a whole other topic completely, which I'll save for later)
9. Stuck with no WoW.
10. /Rage
11. Did some research, found this: "WoW patched up to 3.0.3 already has all of the Burning Crusade data, so there is nothing to install. If you do buy TBC, just go to account management to upgrade your account with the authentication key. I have also heard this from a number of Blizzard employees whom I have contacted, see next step.
12. With step 11 in mind, re-downloaded-and-installed WoW. Could not log on, game giving me error message saying that TBC was not detected on my system, and I could not play on the original WoW client with my current TBC account, as seen from step 5.
13. Getting help from G2G.

Basically I would like some clarification on this: "WoW patched up to 3.0.3 already has all of the Burning Crusade data, so there is nothing to install. If you do buy TBC, just go to account management to upgrade your account with the authentication key. I can not create Blood Elves or Draenai, yet my WoW version is 3.0.3. I can not play WoW due to my BC account not letting me play on an original WoW client.

Either I did something wrong or someone lied to me in telling me: "WoW patched up to 3.0.3 already has all of the Burning Crusade data, so there is nothing to install. If you do buy TBC, just go to account management to upgrade your account with the authentication key.

Anyone with any information: Please share, not sure how many more days I can go without WoW (joke [I hope])

I apologize if none of this made any sense, it's been a long past few days, and I've been getting less sleep than I should be getting. If you have any questions, please post and I will answer to the best of my ability.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by n0ng33k, 01 January 2009 - 04:05 PM.

Advertisements

aarrrhh

aarrrhh

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello :)

If you have only ever installed classic wow and installed all the patches then you probably won't have all the data needed for TBC. Your classic wow areas would be patched to meet the changes made in TBC and WotLK but I would expect the new world content of TBC would be installed from the TBC download. Likewise for WotLK. Otherwise what would be the point in downloading the huge WoTLK patch to then have to buy the CD?

Edited by aarrrhh, 05 January 2009 - 07:43 AM.

Belinrahs

Belinrahs

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
1. Download and install the vanilla WoW client.
2. Download the TBC client installer and install that.
3. Open the game, enter any junk username and password, it checks for patches first, not your username.
4. Patch up to latest (at this writing, 3.0.8a)
5. You're good to go