Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting to wrong hard drive

• Please log in to reply

blackstone

blackstone

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I just installed a new Maxtor 500 GB hard drive to replace my older 300 GB. Want the 300 to be an additional drive
I thought I did everything ok.
Maxtor software cloned successfully.
Jumper settings are Master for the new drive, no jumper per Maxtor for slave (old) Cable is connected with the end of the cable to Master and middle to slave
Bios recognizes the new drive as primary Master and the old as primary slave. DVD rom is secondary master

However, the computer boots to the old drive and My Computer has that one as the C and the new one as E
Using XP Pro SP2
Belarc adviser calls the 500 drive (0) and the old one as drive (1)

Also, when I restart, I get a Disk boot error. Press any key. It then boots but to the wrong hard drive

I tried removing the old drive but it wouldn't boot at all

Thanks in advance for your help

Larry

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I just installed a new Maxtor 500 GB hard drive to replace my older 300 GB. Want the 300 to be an additional drive
I thought I did everything ok.
Maxtor software cloned successfully.
Jumper settings are Master for the new drive, no jumper per Maxtor for slave (old) Cable is connected with the end of the cable to Master and middle to slave
Bios recognizes the new drive as primary Master and the old as primary slave. DVD rom is secondary master

However, the computer boots to the old drive and My Computer has that one as the C and the new one as E
Using XP Pro SP2

Also, when I restart, I get a Disk boot error. Press any key. It then boots but to the wrong hard drive

I tried removing the old drive but it wouldn't boot at all

Thanks in advance for your help

Larry

So are you reloading and starting a fresh Operating system install to the new harddrive or not? Everything on the older harddrive you would like to keep correct?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First STEP TRY THIS FIRST

-If you want to keep both harddrives hooked up try putting the jumper of the maxtor (old) harddrive to slave first and if that doesnt work put it to cable select. I think this is probably going to work.

----------------------------------------------------------
SECOND STEP IF THE ABOVE DOES NOT WORK, PLEASE READ ON!

What I would do is keep the data on the older 300gb and then unhook that drive and put it to the side. Next only hook up the brand new harddrive and make sure it is on the primary master but you said above you already tried this so after you make sure this is correct go into the bios and look for some advanced harddrive boot options as I am not sure where it will be because not every mobo has the same bios and options. Might be an option somewhere in your bios to boot from the new harddrive. Is both of the harddrives IDE or is 1 of them SATA? This could be one of the reasons it wont boot correctly as you have to go into the bios and select the proper boot sequence for that also.

-Check that it is in the proper boot sequence, you might have to change which hd boots first or change the order in the advanced SATA options if it is in fact a sata HD.

Try some of this and if it does not work someone else will give it a go if I cannot get back.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I forgot to add this, since the new harddrive is drive (0) make sure in the boot sequence etc option it is set to boot from the (0) drive and not the (1) drive also.

blackstone

blackstone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Jim, thanks for your help.
I did forget to include a little info.
Both drives are IDE and neither is Sata

So are you reloading and starting a fresh Operating system install to the new harddrive or not? Everything on the older harddrive you would like to keep correct?

I cloned the whole old drive to the new drive and what I'd like to do is clean up some of the stuff on the new drive that is duplicated on the old and get rid of some of the stuff on the old drive to make some room

-If you want to keep both harddrives hooked up try putting the jumper of the maxtor (old) harddrive to slave first and if that doesnt work put it to cable select. I think this is probably going to work.

I tried both of those. Maxtor shows no jumper for a slave and cable select wouldn't allow me to boot

I'm going back into the BIOS now and see if I can remove the slave from the boot sequence. The Bios labels them Primary Master and Primary slave. Belarc advisor called the (0) and (1)

I'll report back in a couple minutes.

Tjanks, again

Larry

blackstone

blackstone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Went back into BIOS.
The boot sequence is floppy, dvd rom and new drive
In the hard drive configuration, I tried to disable the old drive but couldn't boot

I can't seem to find how to label as (0) or (1)

I continue to get a "disk boot error, press any key" every restart which loads fine after that

Larry

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Jim, thanks for your help.
I did forget to include a little info.
Both drives are IDE and neither is Sata

I cloned the whole old drive to the new drive and what I'd like to do is clean up some of the stuff on the new drive that is duplicated on the old and get rid of some of the stuff on the old drive to make some room

I tried both of those. Maxtor shows no jumper for a slave and cable select wouldn't allow me to boot

I'm going back into the BIOS now and see if I can remove the slave from the boot sequence. The Bios labels them Primary Master and Primary slave. Belarc advisor called the (0) and (1)

I'll report back in a couple minutes.

Tjanks, again

Larry

Ya no problem larry.

If you still cannot get it to work after fiddling with the bios and checking over everything then the last thing to try would be leave the new 500gb on the IDE ribbon cable by itself and put the other harddrive on the other ribbon cable along with your cd rom.

Still no bootup, then the only thing left to do is put the new hd by itself on the ide cable, put the old hd to the side unhooked and you will need to wipe the new harddrive and do a fresh install of the operating system by going to your bios and selecting the cd rom as the first boot device so you can get to the setup. After you do that you can then hook up the older HD and transfer what you want or you can just leave be..

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Went back into BIOS.
The boot sequence is floppy, dvd rom and new drive
In the hard drive configuration, I tried to disable the old drive but couldn't boot

I can't seem to find how to label as (0) or (1)

I continue to get a "disk boot error, press any key" every restart which loads fine after that

Larry

hmmm

so are you telling me that you can get into windows?

You said "I continue to get a "disk boot error, press any key" every restart which loads fine after that"

blackstone

blackstone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Yes, I can boot the computer after the error by pressing any key. But it loads the old drive as "c" and the new drive as "E"

Thanks, Jim
Appreciate your help

Larry

Edited by blackstone, 01 January 2009 - 11:44 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Yes, I can boot the computer after the error by pressing any key. But it loads the old drive as "c" and the new drive as "E"

Thanks, Jim
Appreciate your help

Larry

Yeah I see whats going on. I'm pretty tired and trying to keep awake the best I can lol. I'm trying to figure out which one has the error so I can at least get you working properly without any errors.

You have a couple options, leave the old hd as the PRIMARY drive with your windows boot and with the new one have it as an additional drive. You still might have to go and format the whole new 500gb drive (if you choose this way) to get rid of the error on reboot. Seems to me it is wanting to boot from the old and it has no error, the new drive has the error.

Or

See if the error still comes up with the old HD by itself as the Primary Master. If not you know the new hd has an error probably due to the clone you did. Put the new drive on the ide cable with the DVD drive and make sure jumpers are set appropriately on the dvd..

You will probably have to format the new drive this way also but one of these ways will work and you will have both hard drives working properly without errors. It might not be the way you wanted it setup but it will work.

blackstone

blackstone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thanks, Jim.
I'll check out those options

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks, Jim.
I'll check out those options

sorry I couldn't be of more help, It will work but not exactly how you had planned.

blackstone

blackstone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I just appreciate that you took the time

Larry

blackstone

blackstone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
The computer is barely functional.
I've done this before and never had problems like I have this time.

It won't boot unless the old drive is connected. It boots to the new drive

but calls it D.
D is my boot drive.Tried through Windows Disk management to fix this to

no avail.

My DVD rom doesn't work and neither does audio.
Device manager tells me all is working properly. I uninstalled let Windows

find it again but no good.
The DVD reads discs if the light means anything but the drive in My

Computer is blank and discs won't open
I tried to get the Realtek drivers but they won't download.

Bios sometimes seems to change on it's own

Clicking some links doesn't take me to the page for the link.
For example, if I click a link in gmail, it opens up a new tab or window and

tries to connect but it's trying to connect to the same page that contains

the link.
But never connects

There is a server based program I use for my job. It won't open up the log

in window from the link.

Right now, I'm connected as follows.
Primary master=dvd rom
primary slave= old drive (still labeled C but not the boot drive)
Secondary master=new drive (labeled D) which seems to be the boot

drive.
I've tried every combination I can think of but this one boots without a disk

boot error.
I'm sure open to suggestions and appreciate any help.
Thanking you in advance

Larry

blackstone

blackstone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Additionally, I have this error:
Generic Host Process for Win 32 Services encountered a problem.
This happens at boot up and have seen others say elsewhere that it messes their sound up
I'm up to date with Windows updates.
I've seen some suggest a virus so I ran some scans with different software, nothing much there.

Thank you

Larry