Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I fix my MSI GeForce video card, or do I need a new one? (Is t

• Please log in to reply

jimawesome

jimawesome

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a home-assembled computer a friend help me make. It has the following video card and motherboard:

MSI NX6800GT-T2D256E GeForce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

ABIT AN8 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard

The computer has had power supply problems in the past, which were recently fixed but I feel I've done permanent damage. The picture looks really weird and is only semi-intelligible. Here is a link to a screenshot I have hosted on my flickr;

http://www.flickr.co...N08/3158244203/

The randomly colored boxes are sometimes bigger than that and spaced in the most inopportune places on the screen.

I've messed around with drivers and uninstalling/reinstalling the video card, I'm not sure what is left to do - I figured my next move may be to just buy a new video card, but I don't want to spend the money if that isn't the problem. Anybody know whats wrong?? And more importantly . . . how to fix it?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
From the picture it would appear the graphics card is defective. Usually caused because the fan's packed up and the card's overheated, though as you've had PSU issues it wouldn't be unlikely that had something to do with it. It's not fixable, cheaper to replace the card.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
It probably got damaged from the faulty PSU in the past as he has said. Might have gotten way too hot and overheated / damaged some ram chips or the gpu on the video card.

Do you have any old video card laying around or borrow one from a friend such as a regular old PCI video card you can get from junk yards, friends closet boxes etc lol. Try and find an old video card to test if the same problem arises. I'm pretty sure its the video card though.