Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ReImage.com

• Please log in to reply

treen2005

treen2005

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi,

I've recently come accross a site called ReImage.com.

It scans your PC for errors/problems (of which my ageing machine seems to have a few!), then it gives you a report outlining a "Repair Plan", detailing what missing files to download and install and what redundant components to remove.

Then you can pay Ł48 and they'll do it all for you (remotely!?).

3 Questions........

Has anybody ever used this site?

Did you have any success with it (did it work?)?

Is it worth the money or just another site promising to fix it but just really robbing you of your hard earned cash (I'm not really a cynic!)?

I would be very interested to hear any feedback/recommendations about this, on the face of it, it seems quite good....

Cheers. :) :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Normally, I don't believe in tools like this one, but i did some reading, and, surprisingly, they're getting really good reviews.
Said that, I've decided to give it a spin on my test XP installation.
I must say, it's pretty pristine installation with ZERO problems.

Reimage started with installing ActiveX applet, which was expected. But during its run, it kept installing other modules, some of which wanted to become startup processes. This, I really didn't like, and I blocked those attempts with my firewall.
The whole scan took about 10 minutes.
During the scan, which includes security scan, it defined one of my Online Armor firewall file (oaevent.dll) as a trojan!
Here are the final results:

Posted Image

Which are simply ridiculous.
1. The computer is perfectly clean, not "RIDDLED with malicious software..."
2. The computer never experienced a single crash.
3. Since it's almost pristine installation, there are no slowdowns, and it's in almost exact state as "when PC was first purchased".
4. Calling my computer "dysfunctional" is....I don't want to use any bad word here.

Said that, I have only one word for "Reimage" - SCAM!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
This program tried to install start-up as follows, which I deliberately blocked with Spybot:

03/01/2009 22:53:13 Denied (based on user decision) value "{10ECCE17-29B5-4880-A8F5-EAD298611484}" (new data: "") added in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
03/01/2009 22:53:24 Denied (based on user decision) value "ReimageFTP" (new data: "c:\rei\ReiFTPWatchDog.exe") added in System Startup global entry!
03/01/2009 22:53:32 Denied (based on user decision) value "ReimageAgent" (new data: "C:\Program Files\Reimage\REI_Agent.exe") added in System Startup global entry!

This is a very strange program I must admit. It can't count:

Memory Modules
Bank0/1: 1024MB DIMM
Bank4/5: 1024MB DIMM
Total Physical Memory 2145MB

It thinks I've got 5 500Gb hard drives in my computer, four of which are empty (they're card reader bays!)
In an era of 160Gb + size HDDs, where has it got the idea the average HDD has 8Gb of free space? It thinks everybody has 120Gb hard drives.

The scary thing is this ReImage says the average amount of memory in a computer is 635Mb. It then claims the average swap file size is 703Mb. Bearing in mind the first thing Windows does is set Virtual Memory to 1.5 x the amount of memory, either lots of people have been playing or this is erroneous.

Claims the processor is overloaded - Task Manager says ReImage is using 65% of the CPU time. Hmm...

According to this program I have serious stability issues. Which might be true except for the fact I probably caused most of them.

Overall PC Grade
Mediocre - The PC is starting to slow down and behave, on occasion, in an erratic manner. With occasional crashes, re-starts and a longer than usual boot time this machine requires a repair to bring it back to its old, working, condition.

This installation is six weeks old. I dread to think what it claims on a new installation.

Having had a look at the program's supposed "repair plan", I don't quite know whether to laugh or cry. It wants to download tons and tons of key system files, add trusted zones, change all my services, apply Service Pack 2 files to a Service Pack 3 installation, add a whole bunch of time zones for countries I've never been to and probably never will go, change the settings for Notepad, and then change all the internet protocol options to allow unsecured packets through.

Oh and it won't shut down properly either. Terminate ReiFTPWatchDog.exe and ReImageV5.exe through Task Manager and then delete the C:\REI folder and the Reimage folder in Program Files.

Personally I wouldn't give ReImage the time of day. Strongly suggest to steer clear.

Edited by Neil Jones, 03 January 2009 - 05:31 PM.

jasonrain

jasonrain

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Normally, I don't believe in tools like this one, but i did some reading, and, surprisingly, they're getting really good reviews.
Said that, I've decided to give it a spin on my test XP installation.
I must say, it's pretty pristine installation with ZERO problems.

Reimage started with installing ActiveX applet, which was expected. But during its run, it kept installing other modules, some of which wanted to become startup processes. This, I really didn't like, and I blocked those attempts with my firewall.
The whole scan took about 10 minutes.
During the scan, which includes security scan, it defined one of my Online Armor firewall file (oaevent.dll) as a trojan!
Here are the final results:

Posted Image

Which are simply ridiculous.
1. The computer is perfectly clean, not "RIDDLED with malicious software..."
2. The computer never experienced a single crash.
3. Since it's almost pristine installation, there are no slowdowns, and it's in almost exact state as "when PC was first purchased".
4. Calling my computer "dysfunctional" is....I don't want to use any bad word here.

Said that, I have only one word for "Reimage" - SCAM!

Hi,

I am familiar with Reimage, reviewed it for another blog. The way it works is by assuming that windows once your PC worked quite well when you got it. There is no some hamster that is getting tired in your PC, it is just many 3rd party applications, windows updates, etc. that made something work bad. Reimage rebuilds your system without touching your Apps. Reimage may also remove some Microsoft updates that somehow did not work that good.

Reimage is a valid product, I trust companies that show their team faces, names and phone numbers.

You sound like one that understand in managing your own PC, the best way to make your PC run fast is remove the anti-virus. Statistically, Anti-virus / Anti-Spyware / Anti-Stuff miss everything and in a PC like yours I’d personally prefer to remove the residential apps for day-to-day speed. I think that you will not run a virus.

Back to Reimage – it is money back guaranteed, try it.

– Jason

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The information Broni posted about his "test" computer, and the resulting screenshot should cast no doubt of what ReImage is all about... scare tactics! Yup, I agree... SCAM!

Edited by makai, 04 January 2009 - 06:12 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts

the best way to make your PC run fast is remove the anti-virus. Statistically, Anti-virus / Anti-Spyware / Anti-Stuff miss everything

This is a recipe for disaster. Not sure why you would recommend doing this. Do it at your own peril is all I'd say

I would agree with Broni, seems to have written a good review for this

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Mr. jasonrain
You either didn't read my review carefully enough, or you have no idea what you're talking about, or...both.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I would say it looks like a scam as well...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Parallel thread has been running here: http://www.computerh...ic,73633.0.html, if you're interested.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I read that post Broni! As a technical person, not only in computers, but in electronics, the tactics ReImage is using is incomprehensible! They know it, an they planned it, to scare people into purchasing their service. Unfortunately, they will get rich off this scheme and there's nothing we in the help community can do about it. Hopefully, just hopefully, word of mouth will spread and "newbie" users will catch on before dumping their hard earned cash on this scam!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I don't know, if you read my last post there about Google search...

On a top of it, the guy from Reimage, who was replying in that thread, over at CH, had balls to PM me, asking me to change some wording in my review!!
Can you believe this??

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

On a top of it, the guy from Reimage, who was replying in that thread, over at CH, had balls to PM me, asking me to change some wording in my review!!
Can you believe this??

No I didn't read your last comment until just now. It's hard to say what to think about these guys, but to PM you asking to change your wording is their "damage control" kicking in. You should email the links to your post to PC mag and perhaps they will redo their review... that is if they even care about it.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That may be actually good idea, however I'm always little bit cautious about those big magazines reviews. Often, they're not really objective. They have sponsors, if you know what I mean.

nicholasblack

nicholasblack

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Can you believe this??

No I didn't read your last comment until just now. It's hard to say what to think about these guys, but to PM you asking to change your wording is their "damage control" kicking in. You should email the links to your post to PC mag and perhaps they will redo their review... that is if they even care about it.

Dear Broni, Makai,

You may feel Reimage should not comment when being reviewed, but this is something we deeply care about. We keep an eye open on mentions of us via Google Alerts, in case you were wondering. I apologize, and have done so, regarding the mismatch of the scan results and the text. We realize how this can be ill interpreted and seen as a cheap marketing trick. We are working on fixing this. It is also true that the use of the word scam in the same sentence as our product was unpleasant for us to see. We work very hard to try to perfect our product and maintain a loyal, happy, customer base. Hence the money back guarantee. And yes, you are right, this is damage control as we care deeply about what we do and the quality of our product. As I previously mentioned, we would love any feedback about the product and several of the comments from the Computer Hope forum have already entered the product roadmap. I would however like to point out that during the entire debate no one actually tried the product which is unfortunate as I believe it would give some more depth to a quite interesting exchange.

Regarding my exchange with Broni (I'm not sure you got my reply PM), but as this is now a public debate I would like to repeat: I apologize for any offense that may have been caused. I was simply politely asking you reconsider the word scam, which is a loaded term.

We welcome the test of Reimage being set up in the Computer Hope forum and would love to receive more feedback on the product.

I hope I have clarified myself and, once again, apologize for any offense and the bug discussed.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Black
Marketing Director
www.reimage.com
nico at reimage dot com
Office: +972 (3) 575-9-757 x104
Mobile: +972 (54) 250-9-777
Fax: +972 (3) 521-2-361

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Nicolas,

While I appreciate your comments, you have to understand what people like Broni, myself, and many others do here in forums like these. We offer free help to all that need it with the mindset that scare tactics are uncalled for. Personally, I support a small network of computers and dealing with spyware, OS problems, etc, I have experienced many vendors who try to scare people into buying their product. Scare tactics like these are common in selling AV applications via popups over the internet. I'm sure you have seen these and perhaps have even experienced these popups. To the Tech people here, we all know the popup is a scam, but to the multitude of non-tech people we help, we can only warn them. We endeavor to support valid applications and their purpose, however, at the same time, when something comes along and basically flags a new Windows installation in the manner your app did for Broni's machine, a flag of our own pops up. And yes, the word scam comes to mind, and also scare tactics. In my mind there is not much difference, no, there is no difference in your apps report and the scam AV popups I sometimes see while surfing the web!

Until you fix your app, my opinion of it will not change. However, when you do, you will have my full support, and I would venture to guess, many others here. But be warned, we are very picky! :)

Edited by makai, 05 January 2009 - 09:09 PM.