Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia 8400 GS problem

• Please log in to reply

Leokage

Leokage

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, I've been trying to sort this problem for 1 month now. I know there are hundreds upon hundreds of posts like this, trust me, I know, as i've probably read nearly all of them looking for an answer.

A few weeks ago I started getting that little error showing,
"Display Driver nvlddmkm Stopped Responding and Has Recovered"
Blue and yellow pixel lines going across my screen horizontally after that my screen just froze in windows vista including when I try to start up my computer in safe mode.

First few times this happened I assumed I was over heating, so I removed the side of my case to see how hot the computer was. I also downloaded some software to see if it was overheating, I found out it wasnt. Left it for a day and booted up the system from cold overnight, and about 2 minutes after windows had finished logging in I get that same message. So I set about seeing what has been changed on my system lately, the only thing I can think of was a windows update that had downloaded the previous day. So not to worry I used windows recovery to go back a few days to when the computer was running normally.

So I boot up my system after recovering to be met by the same error.

For the next week I ran the computer in safe mode trawling the internet for answers.
I went to the Nvidia site, ZILCH about it, there were lots of people complaining about the same problem. No answers.

I went to Microsoft, again lots of complaining, No answers.

I went to the Compaq and HP website thinking maybe it was my motherboard conflicting,
again, No answers.

So I decided to format my computer and just reinstall windows vista, because frankly id had enough of the computer crashing, and the multi colours coming up.

So after wiping my hard drive, and reinstalling windows vista from the disk, I then couldnt find any drivers for my hardware and spent the next week running the computer off the standard VGA adapter, because I couldnt find the chipset driver for my graphic driver.

This morning while I was on the internet windows update had told me it had been able to install the driver for my graphics card. SO I restarted my system to see if it had worked, which it had.

Restarted computer, and joyous of days it booted up fine.
Thinking id fixed it i tried to start up windows normally About a minute in, the system crashes. No bluescreen, it just froze. So I had to restart my computer with the power button on the front, restarted the pc and windows loaded up.

And what do you know, I get that same error
Blue and yellow pixel lines going across my screen horizontally then my screen froze.

I nearly threw my computer out the window if Im honest.

I've included everything I've done until now because no one else in there posts seems too, and people want information as to what they have done.

I already tried most of the steps that are provided in this screenshot.

Im really struggling to understand what happened to the sodding thing, whether something is conflicting or what?
I really dont know.

Attached Thumbnails

• is_it_a_solution.jpg
  • nvidiacorp.jpg

Edited by Leokage, 02 January 2009 - 10:14 AM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok, I've been trying to sort this problem for 1 month now. I know there are hundreds upon hundreds of posts like this, trust me, I know, as i've probably read nearly all of them looking for an answer.

Blue and yellow pixel lines going across my screen horizontally after that my screen just froze in windows vista including when I try to start up my computer in safe mode.

First few times this happened I assumed I was over heating, so I removed the side of my case to see how hot the computer was. I also downloaded some software to see if it was overheating, I found out it wasnt. Left it for a day and booted up the system from cold overnight, and about 2 minutes after windows had finished logging in I get that same message. So I set about seeing what has been changed on my system lately, the only thing I can think of was a windows update that had downloaded the previous day. So not to worry I used windows recovery to go back a few days to when the computer was running normally.

For the next week I ran the computer in safe mode trawling the internet for answers.
I went to the Nvidia site, ZILCH about it, there were lots of people complaining about the same problem. No answers.

I went to the Compaq and HP website thinking maybe it was my motherboard conflicting,
again, No answers.

So I decided to format my computer and just reinstall windows vista, because frankly id had enough of the computer crashing, and the multi colours coming up.

So after wiping my hard drive, and reinstalling windows vista from the disk, I then couldnt find any drivers for my hardware and spent the next week running the computer off the standard VGA adapter, because I couldnt find the chipset driver for my graphic driver.

This morning while I was on the internet windows update had told me it had been able to install the driver for my graphics card. SO I restarted my system to see if it had worked, which it had.

Thinking id fixed it i tried to start up windows normally About a minute in, the system crashes. No bluescreen, it just froze. So I had to restart my computer with the power button on the front, restarted the pc and windows loaded up.

Blue and yellow pixel lines going across my screen horizontally then my screen froze.

I've included everything I've done until now because no one else in there posts seems too, and people want information as to what they have done.

Im really struggling to understand what happened to the sodding thing, whether something is conflicting or what?
I really dont know.

A few things to try.

First goto the nvidia website and download the latest video card drivers. Do not install yet.
Next uninstall any nvidia drivers currently installed on your pc in the add/remove programs.
Next Download driver sweeper and clean the nvidia drivers and nvidia display.
http://downloads.gur...tup)_d1655.html
Reboot the pc and after that.
Finally install the brand new drivers you downloaded earlier and see if the problem is resolved.

Still have the issues, make sure you have the very latest motherboard drivers installed for the chipset etc..

Edited by jrm20, 02 January 2009 - 12:52 PM.

Leokage

Leokage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

again, No answers.

I really dont know.

A few things to try.

First goto the nvidia website and download the latest video card drivers. Do not install yet.
Next uninstall any nvidia drivers currently installed on your pc in the add/remove programs.
Next Download driver sweeper and clean the nvidia drivers and nvidia display.
http://downloads.gur...tup)_d1655.html
Reboot the pc and after that.
Finally install the brand new drivers you downloaded earlier and see if the problem is resolved.

Still have the issues, make sure you have the very latest motherboard drivers installed for the chipset etc..

I just followed those instructions. No success, I still see those blue lines showing up.
I tried to use the BIOS motherboard update from HP but it won't run the software properly.

neverVidia

neverVidia

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry my friend but your one of thousands to be screwed by this company (nVidia).

Typical symptoms: your card runs fine for a month or so, worst case it happens right away (at least u can then

return it). After that your PC will hang/freeze after just a few minutes on desktop after boot. Bluescreen or black

screen/ only hard reset helps. Depending how badly defective your grafics chip is you might even be able to still

play a game for a bit till the same thing happens.Depending how bad the chip is you can downclcock it and it might,

just might work for you.

Only fix is to run safe mode, uninstall Nvidia drivers. That way none of the 3D features of the card are used and

2D mode works. Unfortunately its like having no 3D card at all.

This issue has affected thousands and has been going on for a year now.

Its not a driver problem, no drivers work to fix this, its not a PSU problem, and its not the operating systems

fault.

XP will just crash, Vista and Windows 7 both will sometimes prevent the freezing up once and report "the driver has

stopped working, and has recovered" or similar. After that you have about 5 seconds till your system crashes.

This happens because and only because the used chip is faulty and would have never passed the assembly line. But it

seems many have and there are reports of these symptoms even with the top end cards.

So buy a new card? and make the right choice this time, or get lucky.

Edited by neverVidia, 18 August 2009 - 05:09 PM.

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Just wondering, does this apply to you? - Faulty Nvidia Chipsets

neverVidia

neverVidia

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HA! interesting find, thanks for pointing it out.

Actually I experienced this on a 8000 series card, a 8400GS. And this name will come up again and again, I also remeber reading that especially the 8000 gpu series from nVidia was suffering from bad chips.
I wanted to use it for a pc I made for my brother, for movies. Thankfully nowadays theres a lot better cards for little money, so hes saving his pocket money.

Kilika

Kilika

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
This sounds very similar to my issue that I can't seem to get anyone that knows what I'm talking about. Here's my original thread about my issue with NVIDIA nforce4 and ASUS...

http://www.geekstogo...53#entry1769253

I'm using the eVGA GeForce 7950 GT, and the ASUS MOBO is all designed around the nforce4 chipset, so what card can replace NVIDIA with?

pabloinla

pabloinla

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am so glad to read these nVidia issues because I have been having XP crashes, sudden reboots. Sometimes I got a blue screen. On restart I get a BIOS checksum error and reload default settings to continue. My 8400GS is running two monitors. Today I unplugged one of the two monitors and so far no crashes repeating the same things that caused crashes such as watching YouTube!!! Have to test for a while to verify.

pabloinla

pabloinla

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I went to Device Manager in XP, found the 8400GS listed, right clicked and clicked on Update Driver. Seems nVidia came out with new driver in July 2010 for the card. Wow! New driver installed and actually solved multiple issues I have been having. Sudden computer restarts: Solved! Slow access to disks including saving large files in Photoshop: Solved! Blue Screens: Solved! After visualizing some choice ideas about what to do to nVidia geeks whose bad driver caused all these issues, I decided not to burn their instruction manual on national TV - in return they will agree to move their headquarters away from Silicone Valley! LOL!

pabloinla

pabloinla

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This post modifies my previous reply. The updated nvidia 8400GS driver seemed to work until I installed a new 2Tb WD Caviar drive! XP crashed again! >>>Took immediate action. I installed a new ATI Radeon HD4650 card after uninstaling all nvidia drivers. Wow! Everything works! the nvidia drivers were the problem all along. I will avoid nvidia cards and stick with other brands.