Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Can I Use Two Monitors At The Same Time?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I have the following component, and equipment I would like to connect with each other:

ATI Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB 128Bit Video Card

Samsung Sync Master 2253LW 21" DVI/VGA LCD Monitor

LG 37LG30 37" 720p HDTV VGA LCD Tv

I currently have my Samsung pc monitor connected to my video card using a dvi cord. & I'd like to be able to use my large HDTV as a secondary monitor using a vga cord. My video card has both a dvi, and vga output. So I'd like to know how to set these screens up to work with each other displaying the same thing at the same time. I want to do this so I can watch videos on my large HDTV without having to shutdown my pc, disconnect my current dvi Samsung monitor, and attach my tv's vga cord on my video card. It's such a repetitive task to have to do that. Not only that but I'm afraid that the constant plugging and unplugging of these cords will damage the video card outputs.

I want to setup the screens as follows:

Samsung Sync Master 2253LW 21" DVI/VGA LCD Monitor (Primary Monitor #1)

LG 37LG30 37" 720p HDTV VGA LCD Tv (Secondary Monitor #2)

I'd also like to know how I can disable the usage of two screens within my pc when I just want to use my primary display and not use a secondary display. Or for instance when I decide not to have two screens physically connected to my pc at all and go back to the way it is now.

Posted Image

Thanks

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
1st step is to buy a dvi/vga converter like this Click on me
Then just hook both up via vga. right click on your desktop choose properties choose the settings tab
Click extend my desktop to this window you can also click which monitor is to be your primary monitor.
then you start a dvd click on the image and drag it to the second monitor.
If you don't need both monitors just turn the 2nd one off.
Cheers
peterm