Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Built new computer(first time) Lag trouble

• Please log in to reply

Oraia

Oraia

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've replaced my old Intel D955bk with an ASUS M3N78 Pro with an AMD 9850 quad core Black Ed. and replaced my Geforce 7900 GS with a Geforce 9400 GT

I'm aware that the 9400 is not SLI compatible, I have hybrid SLI off in the BIOS.
That being said, I'm getting terrible framerates first noticed on World of Warcraft. 10-20 FPS
So I tried out the Nvidia Adrianne Demo and It was terrible choppy. I've no idea the problem

I was running Windows XP 32bit with 2 2gb sticks of ram maxing out at 3.5gb in my system properties.

Currently I;m installing Windows XP 64bit

If anyone can give me ideas of how I can fix my lag problem itd be appreciated greatly

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try installing the newest drivers for your video card..XP 32 bit drivers are here..
if your going to XP 64 bit ...get the drivers here...

Edited by happyrock, 03 January 2009 - 09:40 AM.

Oraia

Oraia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey thanks for the reply...I ended up returning the 9400 gt and getting myself the PNY 9800 GT.

it should be core clock 600Mhz,but in system properties its saying 301 Mhz...
Also, it overheats like crazy....is it something I'm possibly doing wrong? or does this card suck?

...i really dont think it should be this bad....I've tried overclocking it using Rivatuner...but when i do that and run something liek World of Warcraft it seems to shutdown and run back at 301Mhz

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first rule of overclocking...stop OC'ing if its causing stability issues...
there so many variables involved ...its part art...part skill... and beyond my ability to help unless I have physical access to the system ...you may want to try here in the hardware forum for someone that has the same video card..