Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing software on external harddrives

• Please log in to reply

prince_mallow

prince_mallow

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I got a nice external harddrive this christmas and I plan to get some use out of it. I'ld like to put some virtual hard drives on the drive using Virtual PC 2007 (And VMWare)

Now the thing is I will be traveling abroad for a few months and I don't know what computers I'll have access to. I'm not so sure that people would be happy if I installed Virtual PC 2007 on their PCs or not.

Is there a way to install software (Any software for that matter | but specifically Virtual PC 2007) on an external source (Hard drive; usb; cd; floppy; etc...) and have it work on any other PC of the same operating system.

I imagine that a program like Virtual PC relies heavily on the registry keys in windows as it uses the physical hardware to simulate virtual hardware so I don't see how this would be possible but I'ld like to hear about the impossible.

Thank you.

Edited by prince_mallow, 02 January 2009 - 03:33 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
both virtual pc 2007 and vmware requires to be installed on the host. It has to setup the management components and necessary hooks so that the virtual os will work. Now you can do some operating systems on a stick (usb flash drive) that work well. You can even use a Live CD like knoppix or ubuntu.

prince_mallow

prince_mallow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for your reply... After several bouts with virtualization I've decided to work around it for now. It seems as though I am (as always) unable to install linux on any computer that I own and it is no different with a virtual hard drive. I won't have much time to dabble with it before I leave so I guess I'll leave it at that until I return. Thanks for the help, It would really help if some programs were portable as opposed to not.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

I haven't gone through with this yet, but I think I will right now. I know several people at school that use this.