Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD-RW drive on new hp laptop wont read discs

• Please log in to reply

dlangan

dlangan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a brand-new HP pavilion dv5-1150us Entertainment Notebook with a DVD-RW disc drive. I can insert a disc and HP's quickplay will be the only program that recognizes the disc. Windows Media Center tells me to please insert a disc when there is a disc in the drive. It will not really even read the disc otherwise because when i try to explore the dvd drive files I get the same pop-up when there is clearly a disc in the drive. Please help me with this problem.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Is the drive present in Windows Explorer, and in Device Manager?

dlangan

dlangan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
yes it shows as DVD RW drive (E:) this name stays the same even when a disc is in which also lets me know its nit recognizing the disc

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What type of disk are we talking about here? Music, movie, any disk.
See, if VLC Player: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ will see the disk. If so, you may have some codecs missing.

dlangan

dlangan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I've been trying dvd's because I am trying to get some movies on my iPod but i recently tried some cd's too and it wouldn't recognize them either. VLC recognized the disc, so what does that mean i should do if I need explorer to recognize it? is there a specific codec package I need or do you not think thats what the problem is?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Most likely, you have codecs missing. Get this package: http://www.free-code..._Codec_Pack.htm

dlangan

dlangan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you I'm going to try it now

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Let me know...

dlangan

dlangan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey just what I needed. Thank you so much for your help, it was getting very aggravating.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm glad to help :)

Brian R.

Brian R.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just want to thank you - I had the same problem. And you just really, really made my day. Thank you so much.