Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help using TV with my Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Mumps

Mumps

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi,

So, I just bought a new TV. A Samsung LN46A650. 46in LCD HDTV.

I am connecting to my TV via HDMI.

Problem 1:
Overscan. I am displaying my desktop on my TV right now and all 4 sides are cut off... I thought this was a problem that would be eliminated by buying an LCD. Is there any way to view my desktop in 1080 resolution without having the edges cut off? I was hoping to play some games that kinda require those edges.... Mainly because my laptop screen is broken and there is a giant black bar running down the middle of it, and Best Buy's extended warranty is a LIE! (But lets save that for if I decide to make another topic on that)
Would connecting via the PC out connector solve this problem? I didn't think that port could handle 1080 resolution (assumption, I do not have a PC monitor cable handy to test this out)

Problem 2:
Sound. I can get sound to work on my TV, no problem. But when I extend my desktop to that monitor, it would be nice if I could have sound coming from both my laptop and my TV.
Example: Watching a movie on my TV. I want the sound to come from the TV. Simple enough. However, on my laptop I am using MSN. And when you receive messages in MSN, it sounds a chime to let you know. When the TV volume is up, MSN's chime is twice as loud as the movie. So, is there any way to direct which speakers get what sounds? Laptop speakers get the sounds associated with whats on the laptop screen, and same with the TV?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Advertisements

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
anybody? :)

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
thanks for the spam.... *sigh*

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

thanks for the spam.... *sigh*

Sorry that you had to see that post. I had just noticed it myself.

I can't help you with your issue, however one of the techs may answer shortly.

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hey guys. I fixed it! I just had to adjust some things in my video card options that I never saw before. It let me size the screen.

Anyways, a mod can close this topic now. Problem solved! :)

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Hey guys. I fixed it! I just had to adjust some things in my video card options that I never saw before. It let me size the screen.

Anyways, a mod can close this topic now. Problem solved! :)

I was gonna suggest you check out your video card. Glad you got it solved.
As for your sound problem, if you have vista, you can selectively turn the sound down for different programs. In XP this is not an option unfortunately.

Pvt. Riches

Pvt. Riches

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
But at the same time, you can shut the sound off for Messenger, and when you get a message or such, have it pop up on the TV, so you don't miss it or blow your eardrums off.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

But at the same time, you can shut the sound off for Messenger, and when you get a message or such, have it pop up on the TV, so you don't miss it or blow your eardrums off.

Exactly. I use the selective volume ocntrol in vista ALL THE TIME, i.e. turn off the sound on Firefox, so those annoying sounds ads don't distract me while I am listening to music.

Mumps

Mumps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Yeah, Vista's selective volume control is how I have been dealing with this right now. It's one of Vista's features I am very happy with.

I just hate how every time I plug in my TV, I have to open up the sound options and switch to HDMI output, and then when I unplug, I have to switch back to laptop speakers or else I get no sound at all. but thats just a minor inconvenience. I have moved my sound control into my quicklaunch bar for easy access. I used to hate quicklaunch, cause it took up so much room. But now with widescreen, and giant resolutions it's moved it's way up from annoyance to "What would I do without you!"

There is something else I need to test when I get home though... I just bought a blu-ray DVD that is 1080i, and it flickers when I output it from my laptop (it's my only blu-ray player). I haven't tested the 1080p movies that I have though... So I don't know if they will flicker or not when I put them on the TV. I won't be home to test this until tomorrow morning though... but my theory is the flicker is due to it being 1080i, cause the TV is trying to broadcast in 1080p