Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Weird slow-down - related to DVD drive

• Please log in to reply

Rickie

Rickie

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Recently, in the last few days, I've been noticing an odd problem.

If I'm trying to watch a DVD in Media Player Classic, it plays rather slowly and makes it sound rather odd. I thought it might be an issue with MPC..but something makes me think otherwise.

While BURNING a DVD yesterday, I was listening to music on a lightweight player called Billy. Suddenly, my music sounded the same as the earlier DVD had done during playback. So...for some reason, when doing anything in the DVD player, it seems to affect video and audio. Can't really fathom why. only had the drive for a coupla months.

Any thoughts? Drive is an LG GSA-H55NK.

Also, since I've got it Windows refers to it as a DVD-ROM drive for some reason. Hasn't had any issues burning though.

Advertisements

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
u dont have to do anything while burning cd/dvds and also make sure u have single data cable for ur drive or u can try this trick......go to device manager and uninstall ur secondary drive(ie cd/dvd drive) then restart the system.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I don't have to do anything while burning, but I like listening to music.

Anyways, I don't even have a secondary drive. I emulate one with Daemon Tools, but that's it. And that's not the issue, 'cause I've been doing that for years.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Check if your DVD Drive has fallen back to PIO transfer mode from DMA.Go to START, then RUN, type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter. Doubleclick
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,doubleclick on Secondary IDE Channel. Click on the Advanced Settings tab, for the Current Transfer Mode it should say
Ultra DMA Mode, if it says PIO then close the Secondary IDE Channel Properties window. In Device Manager right click on the Secondary IDE Channel and select Uninstall, then close Device Manager and reboot your computer. Windows will reinstall the Secondary IDE Channel with the proper settings.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have two of those Secondary IDE Channels. Both say "Not Applicable" for the Current Transfer Mode.

Should I still uninstall them?

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Sorry, that was written for the Primary IDE Controller. For the Secondary look at the Transfer Mode (right above Current Transfer mode) It should say DMA if available. If it says PIO only then you need to uninstall the Secondary IDE channel. When you reboot Windows will reinstall them with the proper DMA settings.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Alright..I have 2 Primaries and 2 Secondaries.

Primary 1 = DMA
Primary 2 = PIO
Secondary 1 = DMA
Secondary 2 = DMA

Does that mean my second Primary is the one that needs to be uninstalled?

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Yeah, go ahead and uninstall that and reboot your PC and it will reinstall with the proper DMA settings.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ah, that did the trick. Thanks a bunch.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You are most welcome!!