Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

video card problems

• Please log in to reply

Chad Spivey

Chad Spivey

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I own a Dell inspiron E1705 with a Nvidia geforce go 7900 video card. One day, it rebooted suddenly, and when it booted back up it, it showed the dell screen, the windows xp screen, and then a black screen. I could only get into windows in safe mode, because booting normally would just lead to a black screen. I reformatted the hard drive, and upon installing the drivers, there was a problem installing the video card driver. The software simply can't identify the video card i'm using, and neither can Nvidia's online download site. Scrolling on the internet is extremely slow, seeming like the page is refreshing one inch at a time. I've learned that this is usually due to having the wrong video card driver installed. Believe me, i'd insall it if my computer would let me. First question: has my video card burned out? YouTube videos still work, but media center won't install because it can't recognize my video card or says it's not compatible or something. Next question: Let's say it is in fact a dead video card. can I replace it, or is it integrated into the motherboard? I'd ask dell, but my warranty is expired and they charge a lot for techincal support. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the card was dead you wouldn't see anything.
Have you used the driver from Dell? In a lot of cases like these the card is integrated graphics which may not be available from Nvidia, in your case you'd have to get a driver for it from Dell.

Chad Spivey

Chad Spivey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I used the "drivers and utilites" cd shipped from dell, and it said it couldn't recognize the video card. Maybe they sent me the wrong version or update? Do I need to uninstall the driver first, or does that automatically happen when the hard drive is reformatted? Sorry, I wish I knew more about this stuff, i'm sure these seem like horribly newbie questions.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The graphics on a laptop are generally integrated and not upgradeable. It's entirely possible that the graphics chip has malfunctioned and now no longer responds to the driver that it did before. Therefore its anybody's guess as to what it now thinks it is. You may be able to get a new driver from the Dell website.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You can buy the video card alone by itself but the video card is not the problem as it is working.

This is a picture of the video card it goes into expansion slot. You can buy the video cards on various sites and on ebay if you ever needed to..
http://www.techexces...e1705-p469.aspx

Back to the problem it is a Driver issue.

Try this driver..

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/