Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi i wonder if you can help me

I tried upgrading to SP2 when it first came out but it caused so many problems I reverted back toSP1 but now need to bite the bullet and have another go. I finally installed it ater sorting out a permissions problem but there are several immediate other problems

1) My start button taskbar and the menu bar running along the bottom have both disappeared.

2) When I click on an Internet hyperlink nothing happens.I have to save it as a favourite and then it will let me go into the link

3) The text on my yahoo email account is in a strange format.

4) I cannot use copy and paste anymore to paste links etc

5) Windows installer does not work so I cannnot load or remove programs

6) Boot time is incredibly slow after sign on

Theses are the immediate problems I have found.i appreciate some of this may be old hat to you but your help would be appreciated if someone could help, even if one of the problems could be solved.

I should also add that it will not let me uninstall sp2. My system is an HP Pavillion 433uk

many thanks

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this ...Press CTRL+ESC

If CTRL+ESC didn't make it come back, then the program that displays the task bar most likely isn't running. That program is often called the "Windows Shell", but it's really "explorer.exe". It's the program that not only displays the Taskbar, but also responds to the CTRL+ESC sequence.

press CTRL+ALT+DEL to fire up the task manager. Now on the File menu, select New Task...Run.... Type in explorer.exe and press OK....

My next recommendation is to run an up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware scan. Both viruses and spyware are known to interfere with the Windows Shell.

if after you have run the scans and it still not working you need to run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro...
NOTE....you don't have to have the whole disk...just the i386 folder...have them burn it to a cd for you

How to use Scannow sfc...

press CTRL+ALT+DEL to fire up the task manager. Now on the File menu, select New Task...Run.... Type in SFC /SCANNOW
NOTE the single space between sfc and /

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

Edited by happyrock, 12 January 2009 - 10:08 AM.