Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wipe HDD first, install them Xp Pro via external CD-ROM

• Please log in to reply

JyH

JyH

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!

My PC takes ages to install programs, scans give the same problem, generally slow machine. Spy Sweeper detects the PC tries to contact blacklisted sites and blocks then the communication. I guess that is the problem. Now it is so that nothing has help to locate and kill the issue. I tried rootkit detection programs, spywares/worms/malware programs, re-installing the system from scratch, antivirus search with several different Antivirus Software. Nothing helped.

So, I am considering to wipe the hard drive totally (with WipeDrive or KillDisk) and after that install the Operative System again. My internal CD-ROM does not function but I do have a bootable external CD-ROM set to be the first device to boot, before the hard drive. I have an external hard drive too. USB.

My questions are:

1. after such a wipe will I still be able to boot from the external CD-ROM, that was bootable prior to the wipe? So that I can re-install Xp Pro.
2. Having the external hard drive still plugged in to the PC via its USB, while at the same time wiping the internal HD, will it gives problems if it is infected? I have scanned it and there is nothing anyway according to antivirus software (NOD32, Comodo).

Thanks for help! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) Boot off the CD, you can wipe the machine from it. You don't need to change the boot order.
2) Possibly. Unplug it if in doubt.