Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processor keeps overheating, any advice?

• Please log in to reply

someguy12

someguy12

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi there,

For the past few days, i have practically been unable to use my computer since the processor keeps overheating and the computer shuts off before i can do anything. When i load the computer the processor is at about 38 celsius, which is the recommended temperature according to intel, however from there it simply keeps rising till it hits 100 and shuts off. There does not seem to be any particular reason for this - the bios measures the general sytem temperature at 28 celsius and the heatsink appears to be fine. The processor itself is not all that old either, since i only got it in february.

Previously i had this problem to a lesser extent, whereby i could still use the computer well enough for most tasks but it would overheat when running games or a lot of applications at once. The problem has only become this bad after i added two case fans to try and remedy the problem. For this reason i think that it may be the power supply that is broken, since that would explain why extra case fans made it worse. Furthermore, the power supply is quite old, about 5 years, since i kept the old one when upgrading the rest of the pc in february as i said earlier. However im not really sure whether a bad power supply can cause this sort of problem which is why im asking here

My Pc specs:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 (usually rated at 2.2GHz, though ive tried underclocking it to 1.2Ghz to keep it cool, but it had no effect)
The heatsink is the one that came with the processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Power supply: Don't know the brand, all i know is that its 500W

if you need any other info just ask.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hi there,

For the past few days, i have practically been unable to use my computer since the processor keeps overheating and the computer shuts off before i can do anything. When i load the computer the processor is at about 38 celsius, which is the recommended temperature according to intel, however from there it simply keeps rising till it hits 100 and shuts off. There does not seem to be any particular reason for this - the bios measures the general sytem temperature at 28 celsius and the heatsink appears to be fine. The processor itself is not all that old either, since i only got it in february.

Previously i had this problem to a lesser extent, whereby i could still use the computer well enough for most tasks but it would overheat when running games or a lot of applications at once. The problem has only become this bad after i added two case fans to try and remedy the problem. For this reason i think that it may be the power supply that is broken, since that would explain why extra case fans made it worse. Furthermore, the power supply is quite old, about 5 years, since i kept the old one when upgrading the rest of the pc in february as i said earlier. However im not really sure whether a bad power supply can cause this sort of problem which is why im asking here

My Pc specs:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 (usually rated at 2.2GHz, though ive tried underclocking it to 1.2Ghz to keep it cool, but it had no effect)
The heatsink is the one that came with the processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Power supply: Don't know the brand, all i know is that its 500W

if you need any other info just ask.

Hey

have you ever tried overclocking this processor before?

You can try a few things. Take off the heatsink on the CPU clean it off then re apply some thermal paste and put heatsink back on again. Get someone to do this if you do not have any experience at this as we are not liable if you mess up your pc. You need to deal with grounding yourself to the case at all times and watch out for ESD, electro-static discharge which will ruin a PC.

If that does not work then I suggest getting a NEW Heatsink as some of the original INTEL heatsinks do really suck and some of them do not even seat down properly. Get a new aftermarket one with a good cooling heatsink. Copper Heatsinks are a good design.

I don't think it is the power supply. I think its the heatsink not seating properly onto the CPU and you might need to reapply some thermal paste. I recommend arctic silver or Zalman etc..

I also hope you have not tried to overclock before as maybe you left the voltages to high in the bios.

someguy12

someguy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
i did try overclocking when i first upgraded, but i never touched the voltages & i've set the bios back to default several times since then, so i doubt that's the problem.
I'll try adding new thermal paste then, though if that doesn't work could you recommend a good heatsink?
Thanks

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

i did try overclocking when i first upgraded, but i never touched the voltages & i've set the bios back to default several times since then, so i doubt that's the problem.
I'll try adding new thermal paste then, though if that doesn't work could you recommend a good heatsink?
Thanks

If you live in the usa then goto newegg.com and look at any lga 775 compatible cpu heatsinks/fans.

So many fans/heatsinks to go through but I recommend zalman,arctic cooling,tuniq, etc from a good reputable company. Best performance for dollar will probably be the arctic cooling as you can get them very affordable.