Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where to get Vista install CDs?

• Please log in to reply

sf-guy

sf-guy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was thinking of buying a pre-built system at Office Depot or somewhere like that. The system comes pre-configured with Vista Home and does not include OS install CDs. If I lose the OS, does anyone know if I will be able to re-injstall a licensed copy of Vista on the machine? The guy at Office Depot mumbled something about the machine coming with a "license key" and that that was all I needed but he didn't really seem to know what he was talking about.

Is it possible with some key/ID to download and burn Vista install CDs from the microsoft site or something to rebuild a system?

Any pointers most appreciated.

Thanks much!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Just like you do when you buy a car, if in doubt, walk away.
Any genuine Microsoft dealer would give you the disk AND licence, no questions asked.
Big manufacturers like HP and Dell give you a disk as such, lest be it a recovery disk, but its still a method of getting the system up and running again.
You can't download CD images from Microsoft. If you do buy this one and need to to reinstall a few months down the line, you'd have to fork out again for a DVD and licence - the disks aren't available on their own.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
In most cases, a new computer will come with a disc or have a utility to create one set of recovery disc.
The utility to create recovery disc is probally what the sales clerk was thinking of.