Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem problems

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Been having problems with modem lately. Repair shop indicates that I may have caught a "Dialer". Basically what happens is that when I power up without "dialing-up" wiht ISP, I can hear the modem trying to dial-up. Its the same sound I hear when I try to connect to Internet. I have done off-line and on-line scans with Spybot S&d and AVG Home version but nothing has come up, no threats detected. I have not tried Pando or any others, and I notice also that my incoming speed is 1/3 of what it used to be. Another issue I am dealing with is that when I use the telephone I hear this static on the line and the phone company has not been able in 11 days to localize and repair the problem. I don't know if the two issues are related, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Diallers phone up what are effectively premium rate numbers charged at at an arm and a leg that appear on the phone bill at the end of the quarter. Windows should tell you what number it's dialling on the screen. The static is probably caused by the modem trying to dial, waiting for a dial tone, not seeing one and then hanging up. If the PC isn't even powered on when the static occurs then, um, that's more likely electrical interference from somewhere.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
When I hear the modem trying to dial up, where would windows show me the dialer and what number it is trying to dial up.?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
in Which case the dialler isn't using conventional methods. Forgot that most of them don't do it this way :)
Your best bet at this point would be to go to the Malware Forum and post a HiJack This log.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Thanks

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
I have posted my problem on Malware forum so advise me how I will be advised by them of any solutions. Just for the record, the hum or static on the line and 1/3 internet speed was caused by phone line interruption nothing to do with this "dialer" thing.