Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help! accessing files on slave drive

• Please log in to reply

christys770

christys770

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I am a complete NOVICE when it comes to the hard stuff I have taken my old hard drive out of my Emachine 667ir it's a SAMSUNG SpinPoint 15GB UATA/66 Hard Drive (SV1533D) with WindowsME OS and hooked it up to my new Emachine which is model W3622 windows XP Home edition OS. I set the jumper to slave on the old hard drive and plugged it into extra slot on the PATA cable coming from the motherboard to the CD drive i hooked up the spare power cable coming from the cd drive also. I am trying to open the old hard drive just to retrieve my documents folder containing all my little ones pictures and copy them to my new hard drive. So i may then put all files onto a removable usb storage device so i wont chance losing this precious data!! I tried to use the old hard drive in its original machine but it would not run well enough for me to copy the data SO i am going this route. Problem is I don't know how to access the drive once it is installed . it does show up in my device manager as a hard drive but it won't let me open or explore it. it just keeps popping up that it is not formatted do i wish to format. which i do not i just want my data!! after reading tons of posts on here i didn't see any that gave me the steps i needed to do. Do i have it hooked up correctly? and i keep reading something about bios in posts on here is that something i need to do? if so how? like i said i am a NOVICE any help would be greatly appreciated and asap if possible i am on vacation with some actual free time the kids are gone to grandaddys and i want to get this done!! please help me !! i am online on my laptop so i can do the work on the desktop as i read the info on here!!! I do want to add that the drive shows up in disk manager and under "my computer".. so it's finding it.. i just don't know how to get in !!!!!

under disk manager it shows old drive as healthy and active but does not list a file system .. the other drive file system is listed as NTFS .. also it is listing the old hard drive as having 14.26 GB free..100% free space but that can't be right cause i know i just booted it this morning in the old tower and it was working VERY slow but working and with all my files intact on it. ????????

ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated !!!

Advertisements