Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD/CD Burners Nonresponsive

• Please log in to reply

Nathan P. Shive

Nathan P. Shive

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have two DVD/CD Burners which I installed on my computer over the past 3-4 years. OS is Windows XP.

The first burner -- the older of the two -- is completely nonresponsive. The light is constantly flickering even though there's no disc inside; and it won't open when I push the button or try to open it from Windows. I've removed and reinstalled it without any change.

The second burner opens but only reads and writes CD's, not DVD's. If I insert a DVD (blank or burned), it does not recognize the format.

I'd be happy to provide additional information if you need more specifics.

Thank you!

Advertisements

Nathan P. Shive

Nathan P. Shive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ADDENDUM

I had to re-start my computer to make sure I got this right --

From a cold start, I get a message reading "THE FOLLOWING CONFIGURATION OPTIONS WERE AUTOMATICALLY UDPATED" -- it then identifies my two hard drives as "Disk 1" & "Disk 2" with their respective sizes, and identifies the two DVD burners as "DISK 3 -- CD-ROM" AND "DISK 4 -- CD-ROM."

FYI -- The older burner is a Sony (no model number visible); the newer burner (the one which sorta works) is a HP Lightscribe model # HP dvd740.

Thanks again!