Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop RAM upgrade and BIOS update

• Please log in to reply

fang

fang

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP SP3. I am upgrading the RAM from 128mb by adding a 512mb stick. I have ordered this memory stick from Dell. Is it the proper one? http://accessories.u...t...&lid=627063

Also I opened the case and there is a 128mb stick in the machine and another stick that has no writing on it. Is that a blank stick ? Can I just add the 512mb stick in that spot and have both the 128 and the 512 together?

About the BIOS.I have heard when adding RAM I will need to update the BIOS. I currently have an A06 version and I have seen several newer versions out there A32 being the newest. Should I update to this version?

Should I add the RAM first or update the BIOS first?

Sorry so many questions in one post I am just trying to make sure I accomplish three things: The proper RAM combination and type, The proper BIOS update, and the proper process for accomplishing both tasks.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by fang, 03 January 2009 - 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If Dell say its the right one, it probably is. What good would it do Dell to sell something that doesn't fit what they say it fits? :)
BIOS - you don't need to flash it. If gone wrong BIOS updates will kill the machine and render it unusable. If its working fine, don't flash it. You don't replace the car because you can, you replace it because you have to or want to.

fang

fang

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I didn't contact Dell about the RAM I ordered. I found it on the internet after a Google search and it appeared to be the correct one.

So should I just add the 512mb stick to the machine and leave the 128mb intact? I've never heard of anyone actually having 740mb of RAM.

Thanks for the info on the BIOS.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It'll be fine. Anything's better than running XP in 128Mb of memory.