Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting saved url's from address bar........

• Please log in to reply

Strange1

Strange1

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I use FF 3.0.5 browser version. Recently I cannot remove the auto saved sites in the address bar. There are 12 there and they stay there regardless, and no new ones are saved. I have used the "tools/options/private date/ clear now" to no avail. HELP!

Jack

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You should be able to click on unwanted site to highlight it, and hit "Delete" button.

Strange1

Strange1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks, but doesn't work. Deletes from the bar at that point but is still there when the down arrow is clicked and the dropdown expands. Got me baffled.

Jack

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Normally, those are just History files and can be removed from Tools>Options>Privacy tab under Private Data. Also,Ctrl + H will bring up all browser history and just delete from the History pane.

Edited by Major Payne, 04 January 2009 - 08:02 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Actually, Firefox Smart Location Bar matches entries from two sources:
- history (visited sites)
- bookmarks (unvisited sites)
Those addresses, which still show from drop-down menu must be from your bookmarks.
Both sources can be adjusted.
Open new tab, and type: about:config. Hit Enter.
1. Remove Unvisited Bookmarks - Your displayed results will still include your bookmarks, but only those you have visited. In filter bar type: places.frecency.unvisitedBookmarkBonus; double-click on the entry and enter 0 (zero). Restart Firefox and clear history.
2. Remove ALL Bookmarks - Your displayed results will only be based on your browser history as well what has already been typed in the Smart Location Bar. With about:config change the following entries to 0 (zero). Also be sure to Restart Firefox and clear history after making these changes:
* places.frecency.unvisitedBookmarkBonus
* places.frecency.bookmarkVisitBonus
3. Remove History AND Bookmarks- Like Firefox 2, you can setup so that the address bar only displays results based on addresses you have typed. From about:config filter for browser.urlbar.matchOnlyTyped; double-click on the entry to change it from False to True. Restart Firefox.

Strange1

Strange1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Now I"m really getting confused. I keep hearing Bookmarks and History and it seems I am talking about something else. My concern is with the address (url) window. My bookmarks are ok and the history is not a bother. If I am not making my self clear, please forgive me and thanks for trying.

Jack

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The URLs in the address field are from your browser's history. Try something even if it is wrong. You have a lot of suggestions already given. If you want none to ever show, set Firefox to NOT keep History at all. See Tools>Options>Privacy tab again and uncheck the box that has History remembered.

Edited by Major Payne, 04 January 2009 - 01:35 PM.

Strange1

Strange1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks, will try that.

Jack

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Jack

My concern is with the address (url) window

I said:

Firefox Smart Location Bar (address bar) matches entries from two sources:
- history (visited sites)
- bookmarks (unvisited sites)

We're talking about very same thing. Maybe you got confused by Smart Location Bar name.

Strange1

Strange1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanx. Will give it the old college try again. Was just afraid of deleting my Bookmarks. Here we go.........