Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh install of xp home not working properly

• Please log in to reply

bm318is

bm318is

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i have installed a fresh copy of xp home onto a computer several times and every time i try to run xp it runs EXTREMELY slow, i tried running it in safe mode but it's still slow, i then took the hard drive and put it another computer and it ran fine. I can't figure out what's wrong, can someone please help? :)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi bm318is! Welcome to G2G!

You say you just installed XP on the machine. Did you install all the drivers for the different components of the computer, like the video card, chipset, network adapter, etc...?

Go to START->>RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, are there any items listed that have a yellow ? or ! next to them?

Fenor

bm318is

bm318is

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
at the moment i am reinstalling xp because it wasn't able to validate they cd key and it's giving me an error and won't let xp start up, it's taking an awful long time but when i use it as a slave drive to my other computer it installs in under an hour... but i'm almost 100 percent sure all drivers were installed, any idea why install would take so long on the computer itself but be fine on my other computer?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Could be a number of things. Try replacing the IDE/Sata cable used to connect the hard drive to the motherboard if you haven't already. Another thing you can try is to flash the bios, which you do by unplugging the power from the back of the computer, taking the side panel off, removing the CMOS battery (it's silver and about the size of a nickel), and leaving it out for about 5-10 minutes. Then put it back in and plug the power back in the back of the computer and then turn the computer back on. When you first start up your computer after doing this, you will most likely get a 'Bad Checksum' error. This is normal, and just means that you need to re-enter the bios/setup and set the date/time.

bm318is

bm318is

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yup, i have tried all of that already, it's got me going crazy, it's a brand new hard drive, jumpers set properly, the computer was previously running fine until the hard drive went bad, and since then it hasn't been running properly.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What happened that caused the hard drive to go bad? Any event that occurred that caused the need to replace the hard drive?

bm318is

bm318is

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
it had a NTDLR error and then xp was reinstalled, well i attempted to reinstall it several times and it wouldn't work, got a new hard drive and installation went through. by the way xp installation only 19 percent done... if i had the hard drive on my current computer it would have finished installation already...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried taking the CD-ROM from the other computer (the one where the install was fast) and putting it in the problem computer?

Edited by Fenor, 03 January 2009 - 05:47 PM.

bm318is

bm318is

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
no i didn't take the exact cd-rom drive from that computer, but i did try 3 other cd-rom drives as well, 2 of them happen to be brand new, and install is still extremely slow

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Probably a sign of a failing motherboard. Try connecting the hard drive to IDE slot #2 on the mobo (or different SATA port if that is what you have, meaning if you had the hard drive in SATA Port 1, try putting it in SATA Port 3).

Edited by Fenor, 03 January 2009 - 05:53 PM.

bm318is

bm318is

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
there's 2 ide slots, one for the cd-rom and the other is for the hard drive, i have tried switching them up and the results are the same, i just tried it again, but don't think it's gonna make a difference

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Not much more I can tell ya then other then replace the mobo. Someone else might pop in with something else to try.