Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Serious Windows Slow-down issue

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Thx, Ror.

I sure hope he does -- Jimmy's been great. And today BitDefender found a virus. But I'm wondering if it's a "false positive" of sorts, as it found this virus in a file I've had on my computer for a couple of years (without issue). More in my Malware thread.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Final Draft v7.1.1.19 - where did it come from? Torrents?

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Indeed -- but I DL'd it about 2 or 3 years ago now. I've used it on 2 computers and even passed it along to someone else, and there was never a Trojan issue. Never mind the fact that I do full virus scans every few months anyway, and that file's never been picked up as problematic previously. It's a bit weird...I'm wondering if a worm s making it's way through my HDD, corrupting files.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Hey, Broni,

Any thoughts on the following: I removed the most-recent Windows IE automatic updates, as someone on another forum said they'd read some recent ones were causing slow-down problems...Removing them WORKED...until I restarted, when it all started again.

I then removed the last XP updates, that also seemed to help, again temporarily.

Any thoughts what all of this could mean ultimately?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Honestly, I don't know what to tell you.
I'm simply out of ideas.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
oh well.

Let me know if any of your co-volunteers here have any thoughts.

Thanks!!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Clean reinstall?
Sometimes, it's the only option left.

amd64fx

amd64fx

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I would do a test on the Hard Drive. Sounds like it could be going down hill. I have seen computers run real slow and weird due to a drive going bad. Just a thought

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Broni,

I've been getting help at another foum and am just about ready to wipe the drive and start over, but, two strange things I've noticed in the last week:

1. About a week ago I started noticing, during start-up, BEFORE getting into Windows, a b&w DOS screen comes on ever so briefly which gives me a choice of 2 things before getting into Windows. Now, it goes by too quickly to get a good look at it but i THINK the choices are:

1. Windows Recovery Console
2. Enter Windows Normally (or something like that)

The latter is automatically highlighted and it just continues along into Windows. There's also some test before the list and after it, but I've no idea what any of that says.

2. The other thing, I just realized yesterday that a program that I'm pretty sure I removed, Final Draft, exists again.

So I'm wondering if my slowdown is somehow related to a Recovery Console corruption from the Trojan that i DID have (but no longer have).

Thoughts?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm not sure about question #2, but the issue #1 is normal. Most likely, at the other forum Combofix was ran, and Recovery Console was installed. Does it ring a bell?

Advertisements

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Yes.

So it's nothing toconcern myself with?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Not at all. It's to your advantage, just in case, you need to use Recovery Console in the future.
One important thing about Recovery Console, though. Sometimes, when the computer is not bootable, and you need to use Recovery Console, you may get stuck with RC asking you for a password, even, if the password was never set.
To prevent this from happening....

Go Start>Run
Type in:
regedit
Click OK.
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole
Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1
Restart computer.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Hey, Broni, was wondering if you could offer some advice:

I went and used my XP disc to restore Windows...and everything seems to be running smoothly, but now I've a new issue....

My computer didn't come with an XP disc, it came w/a recovery disc. I cannot locate my recovery disc, so I used an XP disc someone gave me when they were trashing their PC and switching to a Mac. I used this XP Home disc once before to restore Windows w/out any issue (well, that's not QUITE true -- I couldn't get back into Windows, but I did a complete reinstall w/out issue), but this time it's telling me that the product key is wrong. OK, so I tried using the product key on the bottom of my machine...that's also not working.

What do I do? It's telling me I have 29 days for Activation -- will Windows stop working in 29 days??

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Since you have valid key, you'll need to call Microsoft, so they can verify it.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
Thx...there was an automated number to call when the product key didn't work, but that was of no help. Bleh.

Thx again!