Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start because of RAM

• Please log in to reply

Omar R

Omar R

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well I decided to build another computer. I build everything, when I started the computer up for the first time there was nothing in the computer screen. The keyboard did not respond either. So I tryed taking out a RAM because i thought that maybe one didn't work. So I was running with one stick now instead of two. And guess what the computer started out fine and I installed windows xp pro. Then I tryed to put the RAM back in and it didn't start up again.

So I thought they sold me a bad RAM. I tryed one more thing, take out the good RAM and put in the bad one. Hmmm.... and it started up fine as well??? Next i thought that one of the RAM slots didn't work on the motherboard. I took out the RAM from the first slot and put it on the second slot and it still work fine. It just doesn't want to start up with 2 RAMS.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I don't know what to do.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This'll be an issue with the board or an incompatibility between the two sticks that prevent them working together. Typically caused if they're different speeds with different timings.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Timings can be the problem but if they were a kit and the same exact specs then this will not be the problem. Is the ram sticks a kit or did you buy them separately meaning 2 different packages?

Look in your mobo booklet and see if the first 2 ram sticks need to be in certain slots for the ram to work correctly.

Try putting the ram sticks in the same colored channel slots first, then next try the other 2 colored channel slots (depends on what mobo as I said) IDK what your mobo is.

Next try both sticks in different colored slots (if your mobo even has different colored slots).

Still no luck look in the bios for a dual channel mode etc and try turning it off /on, does not hurt to try.. Troubleshooting is always a good idea.

Edited by jrm20, 04 January 2009 - 12:25 PM.