Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

susu20

susu20

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi everyone,

I've been having a problem with my laptop lately and was wondering if anyone could help me. Around 2 weeks ago my laptop got short circuited and the motherboard had to be replaced. Since then i have noticed an error message that was never there before, and it has been getting really annoying and i have tried everything i know to fix it but nothing is working. If im on msn messenger an error will come up saying "msn needs to shut down", if im using mozilla same thing, but more recently a windows explorer error keeps coming up repeatedly and it keeps shutting down.

The error reads;

"windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down" then theres some other stuff on the message screen saying

Modname: shell32.dll

Mod ver: explorer.exe 6.0.2900.2180

Offset: 001e50cld

App Ver: 6.0.2900.2180

I have reformatted my laptop and the error is still coming up, i have also done a virus check using Norton 360 and no viruses have come up. However i used an online scanner to scan my registry issues, and it said i have 316 even though i have just reformatted :S? could this be the reason? im in desperate need of help because this is the laptop i use for uni and i cant afford to lose my work every couple of minutes :)

The laptop is a Toshiba A100 Satellite PSA-2AA, its running windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

Susu

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

i used an online scanner to scan my registry issues, and it said i have 316

What scanner was it? In 99.9% cases it's a scam, and....messing with registry will get your computer not better, but worse.

Do you still have warranty on that motherboard replacement? If the errors started right after that, it'd be my first suspect.

susu20

susu20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah i do i think, well im planning to take it to them on Monday. But for now im trying to find a solution because its driving me insane lol

thanks heaps for your help :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, if there is something wrong with the motherboard, then there is not much, you can do.

susu20

susu20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well, the thing is ive bought a cd which fixes registry issues and cleans spyware and adware and thankfully the message still hasnt come up, so hopefully it stays that way :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What program is it?

susu20

susu20

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
its called Hirens Boot Cd 9.5