Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help building or buying a new laptop.

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I am wanting to either build or just flat out buy a new laptop. Which ever is cheaper. I can only spend about $300-$450 max. Anyone have any suggestions? The main purpose of it will be for gaming, but i will use it for other things too.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by civiccrazy, 04 January 2009 - 12:06 AM.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
What kind of games? With $450 you are going to be limited in finding a laptop powerful enough for games.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Yea I know. Right now I am playing Age of Empires 3. But would like to play others like it and newer games. I might be able to spend more but i would just have to wait longer or put it on the credit card.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I'm not up to date with laptops but just looking at the dell laptop pages, you might have to spend a little more then $450 for a gaming laptop. Maybe $600 at least.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Can anyone else actually help me?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
well for nice gameplay and "GAMING" on a laptop you will spend more than you expect. Gaming Laptops are more than a gaming desktop would be. It also depends on which games in general are you wanting to play as Crysis, GTA4, Stalker Clear Sky and some others are very CPU or GPU dependent meaning you need a very high end machine to play it.

I have helped you in other threads and this route is not the way to go for gaming unless you want to spend minimum $1000 and that will still have a slow video card in my opinion. To get a nice gaming laptop $1400-$2000+.

For $1000 you could get one like this:
http://www.cyberpowe...-7800_Notebook/

I would not go any lower performance or cheaper than that as the nvidia 9600m-gt would be my starting point for a gaming laptop.

----------------------------------------------------------

If you go the desktop route get some kind of dual core core 2 duo (intel) or quad (intel or amd). IMO I would not go for the AMD X2 cpu's as they are getting pretty old now..
4 GB ram of ddr2 can be bought for $45 or less now. On the video card this is the most important part, get the fastest video card you can afford as this will be your #1. On the cpu you do not need to get an expensive one just look for a dual core with a higher clock rate or any quad will work.

I would save up until you have minimum $800 to spend but $1000-$1200 will get you more of a system and $1200-$1600 even better.