Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs hang - unable to close with task manager

• Please log in to reply

Elementzz

Elementzz

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello,

I was using firefox and went to reload the page and it just continued to load without any progress. I opened up task manager to close firefox under processes and the windows disappeared but the process itself did not. AIM also stopped responding. I tried to close it as well and the windows disappeared but the process remained.

I disconnected my router and modem and restarted the computer. Restarting the computer took much longer than it normally did. It took a great deal of time before it responded at all.

I recently updated windows with several of the updates as well as the service pack 1 update. I also updated my zonealarm firewall as well as my AIM. I believe that one of these caused the problem as the problem did not appear until after these changes.

I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks for looking this over. I am looking forward to your response.

Advertisements