Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

404 error message

• Please log in to reply

Chris L.

Chris L.

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well this problem has been going on for awhile. I just got on here again because I finally was able to get my brother to let me use his account on this laptop.

The problem started when Monzilla saided it needed to update. So I went ahead with the update and it finished. I restarted the browser I believe and when I restarted it 404 error message came up. I let windows run through the error procedure which did nothing. I tried a few things with the modem nothing that I tried worked.

Now the strange thing is Google Chrome can access the internet fine. (Which is what I'm using now.) Also internet messenging clients work fine also, along with pokerstars which leads me to believe theres a error somewhere with internet explorer or firefox or both.. But I don't really understand what's exactly wrong. I've done Yahoo searches and really ain't found much.

If someone could help me out. I'd greatly appreciate it. I could finally use my account again lol. (My account doesn't have Google Chrome on it.)

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
404 errors are "Page Not Found". This is typically caused when you go to a website and click a link that takes you to a page that isn't actually there. 404s tell you the browser can connect but there's no page there. Are you sure it's a 404 error you're getting?

Chris L.

Chris L.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

Expanded:
This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view.

Doesn't really say a error msg I guess....

Chris L.

Chris L.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Anyone?

Chris L.

Chris L.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
This thread can be deleted resolved problem by Reformatting.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thank you for posting back with your solution. Don't delete threads that aren't in vilation of the TOU. :)

Edited by Major Payne, 20 January 2009 - 01:27 AM.