Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Laptop not recognizing memory

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I just received a used laptop from a buddy of mine. Its a Toshiba Satellite that came loaded with a single 512k stick. I read the Toshiba site, as well as other sites indicating that this machine will shupport up to 2g ram. (Vista home edition).

So, I go by 2x1g sticks of ram, install, reboot. The machine is only recognizing 1g. Thinking I had a bad stick, I removed both. rebooted with just one and it was fine, swapped them, rebooted, it was fine. So essentially it will see only 1 of the sticks, not both at the same time.

So - any ideas on how to resolve this?

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Sounds like you have a bad memory slot. Have you tried using each slot separately? If you can boot from one but not the other, there is your answer.

"No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Bonzai :)