Since its been a while since you started this thread, can you please let us know if your friend is still experiencing the same issue, and/or if anything has changed.
I'm going to assume that the issue remains and post some steps for you to attempt.
1) Can you please tell me if this computer has ever been able to connect to the Internet? If so, what has changed since that time? (i.e. new hardware, software, change of location?)
2) Can the computer connect to any sites? Or does this issue occur for all sites? Try google.com, yahoo.com, msn.com etc.
3) Can the computer interact with your local network fine? i.e. share files, see the other computers, ping the other computers by name/IP?
4) Test the connection:
The following commands will be performed from the command prompt and printed to files on your C: drive (you may change the drive if you prefer a different location). To ensure that all of the commands are run, please launch the command prompt with Administrator privileges. To do this, press the start button, type "cmd
" into the search field - hold down the ctrl
keys and then press the enter key. Please run the following commands one after the other; some of them may take longer than others to run.
- Perform a ping test to a host name
: In the command prompt window, type "ping google.com > C:\test1.txt
- Perform a ping test to an external IP
: In the command prompt window, type "ping 126.96.36.199 > C:\test2.txt
- Perform a trace rt to a host name
: In the command prompt window, type "tracert google.com > C:\test3.txt
-- *NOTE: this command may take a few minutes to complete.
Open the three test text files and post the contents.
5) Rule out software interference
: To ensure that software is not interfering with your connection (i.e. firewalls, anti-virus software, etc.) please restart the computer in Safe mode with Networking
and then attempt to connect to the Internet; does the issue persist?
6) Test for a router hardware fault
: If possible, can you please connect the computer via an Ethernet cable directly into the modem and then see if the issue still occurs?
Let me know how you go.