Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I need help choosing a new graphics card

• Please log in to reply

zulef

zulef

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello all. Recently the fan has failed on my current graphics card so its time to get a new one. My budget is maximum £50, my computer isnt used for gaming and the card thats just failed has been fine for me (6600LE 256mb).

The card has to be PCI-E, and have VGA and S-video sockets.

Im not sure of my exact system specs, but what i know:

1gb Ram
AMD Athlon 3500+ 2.2ghz
380w PSU 17A & 204w on the 12v rail

Thanks very much.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hello all. Recently the fan has failed on my current graphics card so its time to get a new one. My budget is maximum £50, my computer isnt used for gaming and the card thats just failed has been fine for me (6600LE 256mb).

The card has to be PCI-E, and have VGA and S-video sockets.

Im not sure of my exact system specs, but what i know:

1gb Ram
AMD Athlon 3500+ 2.2ghz
380w PSU 17A & 204w on the 12v rail

Thanks very much.

Is the graphics card toast now because it overheated or is just the fan needing replaced?
You can get a new fan for most video cards. This one should work as a review said it fit his 6600gt.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835110107

You should be able to find that fan above where you live though.

Edited by jrm20, 04 January 2009 - 02:15 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You are in the UK.
Found one in the uk for
Price:
£5.52 ex VAT
£6.35 inc VAT

It will fit on your 6600 card.
http://www.misco.co....h...&CatId=2934

zulef

zulef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I hadnt thought about replacing the fan, didnt know it could be done. Its not too big a job im guessing?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I hadnt thought about replacing the fan, didnt know it could be done. Its not too big a job im guessing?

Nope, just have a screwdriver handy and follow the instructions.. really do not need instructions lol but if you never had before its always a good idea. Ya it is really easy to do I would go for it.

zulef

zulef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Great, just ordering one now. Thanks very much! Saved me from having to find and install a new card.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Great, just ordering one now. Thanks very much! Saved me from having to find and install a new card.

Hold on Go for this one instead, it comes with the included ramsinks which you need for your model I believe.

http://www.scan.co.u...nd-ATi-see-list

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Ramsinks are passive, so they probably don't need replacing...

Also, if you aren't sure it was just the fan, the card might actually be dead and replacing the fan won't help anything.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ramsinks are passive, so they probably don't need replacing...

Also, if you aren't sure it was just the fan, the card might actually be dead and replacing the fan won't help anything.

Ya I stated that above about the video card might be dead so he never said it was dead.