Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Phantom strip on desktop of a Dell 3000 with XP

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
The desktop of my Dell 3000(with XP) seems to have acquired an extraneous addition ---. a ¾ inch deep strip across the top of the screen (from one side to the other) above the usual array of icons. The strip is grey in color and contains six pseudo-icons ( just the text part of six icons that appear on the desktop itself.)

Often, I find the strip obscuring the three upper right corner controls and that is a nuisance. Can someone tell me how I can get rid of the phantom strip and have my desktop occupy <all> the real estate on the screen? Thanks much.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This sound suspiciously like screen burn-in.
Does this strip and the icons it shows appear no matter what's on the main screen? If you fire up a game, for example, are they still there in that?

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
No, the phantom strip is covered (becomes invisible) when, for example, I view Incoming messages in OE6 or start a new page in WORD.

Also, FWIW …

I see that the strip is made up of two part, separated by a vertical line. The icons in the left part are duplicates of those in the right part. The number of icons
icon increases when I move a dividing line (placing my cursor on the vertical within the phantom screen, getting a two-headed arrow, and moving the dividing line)

Also, if I place the cursor on the lower horizontal edge of the strip and drag it upward, the strip <narrows> momentarily, but returns to its full width as soon as I release the cursor.

And, finally, I see that at least some of the phantom icons are not <copies> of ones that used to be on the main screen; they are the icons themselves. That is, an icon I used to have on the main desktop called “Timvers” now appears in the strip (two times, in each half) and <does not appear> any longer on the main desktop area.

It appears as if my icons have been moved and folded on themselves???

I am attempting to attach a screen shot here.

Thank you for your interest.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Let me try again to send the screenshot. ...wdcstrangedesktop.jpg

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
A picture paints a thousand words!

What you have there is a toolbar you, or someone else launched.

Right-click on a blank area of the taskbar and scroll to Toolbars. Uncheck the one that pertains to the toolbar that's showing up.

wdc202

wdc202

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Makai, Neil: Bulls eye! Makai's diagnosis and remedy was right on. Problem fixed. What would I ever do without you guys? Thank you. ... wdc

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It was the picture! :)