Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I completly remove XP Pro?

• Please log in to reply

brandyjo

brandyjo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought a refurbished Dell computer. It came with Windows XP Pro installed. Actually, upon startup there were two identical looking "Windows XP Pro" choices, dunno what that was about. The computer is primarly used by my kids and they seemed to have screwed it up beyond my expertise, especially since I didn't see what it was that they did, I only saw that the computer was messed up. I asked my regular computer guy about a way to install windows fresh since it was a used machine and didn't come with any discs. He said I could use the disc that came with my other computer since is was a Dell, too.
My kids had nothing important to worry about backing up, but they had been playing games on it for a few months, in particular, one was using the Jumpstart learning games.
So, I went thru all the instructions when I ran the reinstall disc. When I was finished I went thru the usual routine-Windows update and AVG anti virus. Then I found that I have two (at least) problems. One- I have no sound, I get an error message telling me that there is a sound device error. Maybe the reinstall disc doesn't have the necessary drivers for what is installed on that machine? I tried to located the sound device in device manager and update the driver but that got me nowhere. The other problem is that XP Pro is still there! I did the boot.ini thing and now it doesnt show up as an option, but all the information it held is still there. When I went to reinstall the Jumpstart games after the format and reinstall I was asked if I wanted to 'repair' since it was already installed?!
I want to format and reinstall again, how can I be sure that I get rid of XP Pro and all of it's files completly?
Thank you in advance
Brandy

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You can download [url=http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10188745.html]killdisk here[/uel] and follow the on screen information to wipe the disc.
I have never used killdisk before, and am not familure with the program. It will wipe the disc drive clean so that you can start over.
You will have to go to the Dell web site for your drivers. When you use device manager to update your drivers only the drivers that have been submitted to windows update are available. Dell will have the most up to date drivers.