Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create a FREE account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you sign in.
Create an Account Login to Account

restore volume control in task bar

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Since removing some viruses, I have found that the volume control icon is no longer in my task bar. I used to be able to click on it and a slider control could be used to adjust volume.

I have tried several things, I went to add/remove programs and tried to add it to my task bar and it said it was not installed. And of those choices listed in the dropdown menu of add windows components, nothing clearly said "audio" in that menu, so I did nothing there. There was accessories and utilities, fax services, update root certificates, etc. Is there something there I should add? And then I went to the start menu and typed services.msc and in the line that says "windows audio" it says it is on automatic. I have also looked at the control panel in sounds and audio and if there was any place to check "add to taskbar" I did it. But I could only get the Realtek audio icon there, and that is not the one I want.

And I also looked at all programs/assessories/entertainment and there is a Realplayer listed there. Do I have to install that program, or should I? I have also right clicked on the taskbar menu and selected "always show" in the volume selection, yet nothing changes.

Seems like a simple thing, but I can't seem to get the job done. :) Switching from IE to Firefox didn't change anything, did it?
Thanks

Edited by bettei, 04 January 2009 - 04:02 PM.

Similar Topics: restore volume control in task bar     x

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Hi, and Welcome to GeeksToGo :)

If I understood what was meant:

Posted Image?

Try This:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices
Then make sure Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar is checked

Posted Image

Click Apply then Ok..

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Yes, that is the icon I want...and used to have. But I already tried to do what you just printed...and I got an error messages saying the "volume control couldn't be displayed because it has not been installed".

How so??? It used to be there?? How can I restore it? BTW...I have bundled software package with windows in it, so no actual XP CD.

Also another change I noticed....I always used a customized group of pictures for a screensaver, and I am pretty sure it was called "my pictures premium". Now the only choice is "my pictures slideshow", and you can only draw pictures from one folder only, whereas on the pictures premium, I could browse from and choose pictures from any folder I wanted to. How did this change, and can I get the preferred one back???

Thanks!

Edited by bettei, 04 January 2009 - 05:54 PM.

eviesar

eviesar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same issue as bettei .........it won't allow me to add to taskbar because " the volume control program is not installed....use Add/Remove in the Control Panel" but there is nothing there to add..........I've done a short cut on my quick launch.......but I'd rather have it where it is supposed to be?

Thanks

batpark

batpark

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
I too have the same problem and went down the same (barren) path. Hope for a fix soon. ... batpark

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 33,951 posts
Direct to: batpark

Please start your own topic as this one is over a year old.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Please open up Device Manager and post a screenshot to your next post.

batpark

batpark

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Per advice from rshaffer61 I am also posting this as a new query in XP forum.

Using Run devmgmt.msc I get a listing of items in my ControlPanel (see attached). But none is marked in yellow or red. ???

Attached Thumbnails

• ss5_6.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured