Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maxtor onetouch willn't turn on when plugged in

• Please log in to reply

chazy

chazy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Problem description: My Maxtor won't turn on when I plug it into the adapter. You know how adapters sometimes come in two parts and you slide the prongs into the main cord? It may or may not work because I took the two apart for transport.
It seems silly but that's the only kind of damage I'd imagine that I've done to the HD. I took/take very good care of it. Before I did that, I worked fine, plugged in and turned on. Now it won't work, e.g. turn on at all.
I did not drop it or abuse it in any manner btw.

Recent changes: I doubt it's my laptops' problem, even though I recently upgraded to vista. The HD was broken before I ever upgraded.

Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium

System specs: n/a

My question is this:
Can I somehow crack it open, plug it in and just transfer all my files to my computer? Or should I just send it to a data recovery service? [I'd rather do this as a last resort thing. I've got sensitive data on there and am concerned about ID theft, etc.]

Thanks for any help offered! :)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Since I don't own a Maxtor external device, I was going to let someone else answer your questions, but since no one else picked it up... here I am!

There is no special reason why the drive in your device is any different than all the rest of the drives that Maxtor makes. What I mean is that the drive is probably the same as all the drives they manufacture. Given that, as long as you have a way to slave the drive in a computer, there should be no problem pulling the drive out and doing so as long as you set the drive jumper to the "slave" or "cable select" position. "Slave" position is preferred.

Since you mention you have laptop, there is no way the drive can be slaved in there. You will need to slave it in another desktop computer, or purchase another USB enclosure, or USB device that can be used to cable up the drive. Data recovery services are generally expensive, so its not recommended in lieu of just purchasing another enclosure or cabling system. If you need help selecting one, THIS is the type I use. It will handle both IDE (PATA) and SATA interfaced drives.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
This won't help you at all, but over the last 6/7 years I've had no less than THREE Maxtor drives completely die on me.

I use Western Digital exclusivley now, and never had a problem with any of them.

chazy

chazy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

HELP! :)

Thanks so much! I was so worried all my crap was gone for good :) So if I use THIS I won't need the adapter the HD came with yes?

Thanks again!

E: wait, are you sure it's a good idea to use this kind of adapter? The reviews make it seem iffy....

Edited by chazy, 06 January 2009 - 06:22 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Reviews are always "iffy". Much of it depends on the user... much of it on the manufacture. There are other adapters similar to the one I posted... I just posted what I use (with success). HERE is another one, but the interface is a little different, and again, not all users are satisfied. There are many different ones you can use, and I was just going by my own experience. Of course, you know what they say... your mileage may vary... so the decision is really up to you.

EDITED: I thought I should edit my post to address your concerns a little more.

The reason your Maxtor is not working is unknown. That said, there is a good chance the hard drive itself is broken. As you can imagine, the failure could be due to the hard drive, or the enclosure it came in. If it’s the enclosure that’s bad, then putting a new drive in it may cause the new drive to die also. Electronics fail all the time and we never know when it’s going to happen or what can cause it. This is why your Maxtor is now not operating as it should.

If the Maxtor drive itself it broken, then buying the adapter from Newegg will not fix it. So if you did purchase the Newegg adapter and connected it to the drive and it didn't work, you may end up thinking the new adapter killed it… which would not be the case.

Basically, you take your chances whenever you buy something and unfortunately there are no garuantees.

Unless you can slave your Maxtor drive in another computer (which I mentioned in my first reply), you will not be able to tell if the drive will even spin up... and, you will also not be able to tell if its the drive or the enclosure thats causing the actual problem. If you have a desktop computer available, I would try to slave the drive first before purchasing anything. I would aslo try to find someone to help you if you cannot do this yourself.

Edited by makai, 07 January 2009 - 04:52 AM.

chazy

chazy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, I understand now! Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it! :)