Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Clicks When Booting

• Please log in to reply

ComputerNerd_53

ComputerNerd_53

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, so I go upstairs this afternoon to find a BSOD on my laptop's screen. I restart the computer, but it won't boot, it just made these weird clicking noises. So, I removed the battery, RAM, and hard drive, and turned it on to see if it was something that wasn't removable that was making it click. Then I put the battery and RAM back in, it still wasn't clicking. So I put the hard drive in again and listened right beside it. What do you know: "click click click click" and all I see is a black screen.

So, I try to boot from my Ubuntu live CD, but it just clicks and clicks away. I remove my hard drive, and boot from the CD, it works fine.

Is my hard drive shot, or is there a way to repair it?

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 1501
AMD Turion 64 x2
2GB DDR2 SDRAM
120GB 5400RPM Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00
etc etc

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Okay, so I go upstairs this afternoon to find a BSOD on my laptop's screen. I restart the computer, but it won't boot, it just made these weird clicking noises. So, I removed the battery, RAM, and hard drive, and turned it on to see if it was something that wasn't removable that was making it click. Then I put the battery and RAM back in, it still wasn't clicking. So I put the hard drive in again and listened right beside it. What do you know: "click click click click" and all I see is a black screen.

So, I try to boot from my Ubuntu live CD, but it just clicks and clicks away. I remove my hard drive, and boot from the CD, it works fine.

Is my hard drive shot, or is there a way to repair it?

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 1501
AMD Turion 64 x2
2GB DDR2 SDRAM
120GB 5400RPM Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00
etc etc

The click is from a bad harddrive. Sorry that this happened to you. No way to repair a bad harddrive you will need to buy a new one.

ComputerNerd_53

ComputerNerd_53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That is very weird, I wouldn't think something like this would happen out of nowhere. It was running fine this morning, then I go up three or four hours later and have a blue screen and the hard drive is failing?

Okay, well I'll look into a new drive then!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

That is very weird, I wouldn't think something like this would happen out of nowhere. It was running fine this morning, then I go up three or four hours later and have a blue screen and the hard drive is failing?

Okay, well I'll look into a new drive then!

A harddrive can fail at any given time. Depending on heat or hardware failure internally, the armature could have scratched the data on the disk platter etc.. So many things can happen and you cannot fix it.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
hard drives are mechanical. They fail.
Believe it or not electronic components wear out as well.
There is usualy no warning before a failure.
Back up, back up, back up!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If the laptop is still not under warranty then take a look at this HD.

$50 for a 160gb brand new from newegg.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822149073