Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats needed...Graphics upgrade or CPU upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

wowuser101

wowuser101

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i was wondering if any knew what i need to be able to run WOW on the highest graphics with all graphic options on. i set it to high and the graphics are amazing but the screen then becomes jumpy. its not smooth any more. i checked the windows experience access thing on windows vista. and it states my CPU is a 4.9 and RAM is 5.4 Primary hard drive is 5.7 and 3d graphics are 3.2. so i think its graphics i need to fix but i don't know. here is my system information...

system information

Operating system:windows vista home premium (6.0, build 6001)

System manufacturer: Gateway

System model: GM5457E

BIOS: Default system BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6320 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPU s), ~1.9GHz

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File:1769MB used, 3467 MB available

Direct X Version: Direct X 10

Device Info.

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip Type: GeForce 7500 LE

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Approximate total memory: 1016 MB

Current Display mode: 1920x1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Direct X Features...

Direct Draw acceleration: enabled

Direct 3D acceleration: enabled

AGP Texture Acceleration: enabled

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

One thread is plenty, no need to make two! :) I closed the other one for you.

If you are intending on running WOW with full graphics settings at 1920x1200 resolution, I think you'll be needing to upgrade a little more than the graphics card! This is a very high resolution. An upgrade, as suggested below, and some "finetuning" of the settings should see a substantial increase in how good the game looks.

A graphics card upgrade will definitely see some improvement. I'm not sure what your budget is for this, but here are some suggestions below:

Graphics Card
Power Supply

Cheers

Troy

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You really don't need a very high end video card to play WOW but if you want everything maxed out you need to get the fastest card you can afford but don't throw out $300+ for that machine IMO..

Get an ati4670 or Nvidia 9600gso/9600gt at minimum. I would try and get a step above if you can afford.

wowuser101

wowuser101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok so i do need a grpahics card...but which is betetr for gameing. the nvidea 9600 or the

HIS Hightech H467QT512P Radeon HD 4670 IceQ Turbo 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

...and also how can i figure out if i ahve enough connectors for the cards?

i know nothing about building a computer or installing these and will probably take it to circut city or something like that. however is the 512MB graphics card really better then the 1MB one i alrdy have?

and do you recoomened getting that power supply, like will it ensure the graphics cards can be properly conneceted or should i wait o buying a dif power supply.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The 4670 and the 9600GSO are about the same, the 9600GT is a step up from those two. Here's a good EVGA 9600GT, especially if you can make use of the rebates, it's a good deal.

And yes I recommend getting that power supply all at the same time, an upgraded video card is going to need some good power, something your original Gateway-supplied PSU will never be able to do.

Troy

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

ok so i do need a grpahics card...but which is betetr for gameing. the nvidea 9600 or the

HIS Hightech H467QT512P Radeon HD 4670 IceQ Turbo 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

...and also how can i figure out if i ahve enough connectors for the cards?

i know nothing about building a computer or installing these and will probably take it to circut city or something like that. however is the 512MB graphics card really better then the 1MB one i alrdy have?

and do you recoomened getting that power supply, like will it ensure the graphics cards can be properly conneceted or should i wait o buying a dif power supply.

Well I would strongly suggest getting a newer power supply but the ATI 4670 uses less power than the nvidia 9600 series cards. Your stock psu is only a 300 watt but most of the time they do not put out what they say. The good thing about the 4670 listed above is that you do not need to connect any extra power connectors as it gets all the power it needs from the Pci express slot. You MIGHT be able to get by with the stock PSU but IMO I would just go ahead and upgrade it because sooner or later you will want to add more stuff into the pc and that 300watt will not push it..

I would really go for the 500W psu listed above as it only comes out to $25 after rebates.

The 4670 is your best bet for you, the price to performance ratio can't be beat. If you want to get a step above your looking at an ati 4850.