Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck at Black Screen after POST

• Please log in to reply

benhal8

benhal8

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
A little background:

Hardware:
Dell Dimension 6200
XP Home
GeForce FX 5200

I was experiencing some graphic freezing / sound-looping while playing a game and decided to update my video drivers. It was downhill from there, with numerous starts in safe-mode, a system restore, and an undo-system restore. Now when the computer boots up, the Dell logo flashes and I can hit F2/F12 to get into Setup or Boot Menu, but F8 won't work to get into safe mode. If I hit nothing, the dell logo flashes at the top of the screen like normal, but I never get a Windows loading bar. It just sits at the same black screen with nothing loading.

At first I thought it was the drivers / card, so I switched the monitor to the on-board video and it was even less responsive.

From other topics, it sounds like my HD / mobo might have crashed? Any ideas?

Advertisements

benhal8

benhal8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Oh, and I don't get a blinking cursor that other people have reported having. It's a solid black screen and I don't hear my computer running any processes.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try to boot from Windows CD?