Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I hate Vista

• Please log in to reply

gr8joel

gr8joel

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
I recently bought a laptop, and it had vista in it. i wish there were some way to put xp back on it.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
What problems are you having with it?

I just set up a Compaq laptop with Vista Premium installed on it for my 16 year old .... she's use to XP home too, but isn't having any problems navigating through Vista.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Oh sorry, honestyl I didnt mean to really engage help. I appreciate it though. To tell you the truth, I was so hyped about getting my new laptop which was a big deal for me on the account of I needed it for school. I used to use xp. My particular computers specs seems really good. But its really slow to boot up and shut down. programs run really slow compared to my old xp laptop. Overall its just a horrible experience for me.

heres what i got if you wanna take a look at the specs.

MY LAPTOP

ps the battery really sucks as well, like no more than an hour. HOOORIBLE.

Edited by gr8joel, 06 January 2009 - 02:31 AM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Windows XP Professional Retail - $189.99.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Did Norton/Symantec come bundled on that computer too? That was one of the first programs to go on the machine I just set up.
I bought Avira Antivirus Premium Suite (it has a firewall and real time protection). I used http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem.htm to remove Symantec.

I don't know what all you have running at start up and in the background, but too many unnecessary services will slow your machine down.
Take a look at BlackViper's suggestions on how to set these services:
http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

Vista will start out slow to begin with, but once it's got it's 'prefetch' sorted, it will just hum along :)

lurky

lurky

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
You also might want to turn off indexing, that should help you out a fair amount too. Another thing, HP's are notorious for bundling in a fair amount of software on startup. You should disable those items on startup, and possibly even uninstall a few things.

You're right, I'm sure it's not what you're used to and you're probably not comfortable with some of the features. But wishing for Windows XP back on your new laptop isn't exactly the greatest idea in the world. XP home and professional have both been slated for discontinuation of retail sales. Meaning that they are no longer producing the operating system. http://www.microsoft...le/default.mspx

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Vista. Of course XP is going to be faster, it was designed to run on hardware that's nine years old.

*Edit* not really trying to be pushy with my opinion on this. Just get a little winded hearing the rap this OS gets.
http://www.mojaveexp...bid=us9iUd0IBy1

Edited by lurky, 06 January 2009 - 07:11 PM.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
gr8joel, I love both my vista computers (Ultimate and Business).... I still have XP home running on a desktop too.

You might want to familiarize yourself with some of the tweaks, tips and how to guides ... listed on this website. :)
http://www.howtogeek.../windows-vista/

Edited by Jacee, 06 January 2009 - 07:56 PM.

gr8joel

gr8joel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Thanks to all who responded.

titans58

titans58

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I love Vista on my new Toshisba laptop. I have XP on my HP desktop and its 6 yrs old and it didnt come with a recovery disc which HP was notorious for doing in older models. Now its in the shop. My computer geek that I take my puters to get fixed said XP is just no longer going on new puters and Microsoft will eventually stop updating in that area,and Vista will be going out as well very soon in new puters because they are working on a new one. OMG I get Vista finally , to which its not old and they are coming out with a new one in the near future. I wish technology would slow down so we can all enjoy what we have without thinking what we have is out of date when its only 6 months or a year old. lol.

Edited by titans58, 29 January 2009 - 09:40 AM.